What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horrible brake noise with new brakes/lines!

Would it be a problem to carefully lubricate the guide pins with graphite? I changed my pads and must have bent the tubing enough it causes them to bind and cant seem to get the tubing back to where it was,
Are these Matco calipers? If so, I've found that I can "reset" the alignment by braking loose the two allen head screws, then retightening them. Seems to solve brake-line fitting induced sideloading on the secondary caliper body, which then in turn causes the caliper chatter.

Agree with @dougmattson - a little graphite shouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:
And....if these are Cleveland calipers, here's what the Cleveland "Component Maintenance Manual for External Design Wheels & Brakes" recommends (buried in appendix B3):

Anchor Bolts/Torque Plate Bushings
Silicone Spray​
Dri-Slide® Multi-Purpose Lubricant​
LPS Force 842® Dry Moly Lubricant​

I have used the LPS Force 842 on mine. It eliminated an intermittent brake chatter noise that happened when I had no pressure on the pedals....you know, kind of how you're supposed to taxi ;).

One tip: before applying the dry film lube and installing the caliper, make sure the torque plate bushings and caliper guide pins are clean. Any crud build up in the bushings or on the pins (ie: anything other than a dry film lubricant) can cause the caliper to bind.

And....if these are Cleveland calipers, here's what the Cleveland "Component Maintenance Manual for External Design Wheels & Brakes" recommends (buried in appendix B3):

Anchor Bolts/Torque Plate Bushings
Silicone Spray​
Dri-Slide® Multi-Purpose Lubricant​
LPS Force 842® Dry Moly Lubricant​

I have used the LPS Force 842 on mine. It eliminated an intermittent brake chatter noise that happened when I had no pressure on the pedals....you know, kind of how you're supposed to taxi ;).

One tip: before applying the dry film lube and installing the caliper, make sure the torque plate bushings and caliper guide pins are clean. Any crud build up in the bushings or on the pins (ie: anything other than a dry film lubricant) can cause the caliper to bind.
You're saying you use this for the guide pins? (not sure the exact verbiage for them.

You're saying you use this for the guide pins? (not sure the exact verbiage for them.
Yes. Item 4 in the attached brake assembly pdf. Looks like Cleveland calls it an "anchor bolt"..........their parts, I guess they get to name them. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• brake asm.pdf
    329.4 KB · Views: 25
Back