What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hoisting the 912iS

Rob H

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a pic of how they lifted the new Rotax from the shipping crate. I’ve got a cherry picker, but I don’t know the proper way to rig for the lift. I certainly don’t want to damage anything.

I have a 3' web strap with D-ring shackles at each end. Insert the D-rings at each red arrow and loop the middle of the strap through the hook-ring of the cherry picker/engine hoist.

Note: My D-rings needed to have a bit of grinder time done to fit without rubbing anything.

912iS Image.jpg

I have a 3' web strap with D-ring shackles at each end. Insert the D-rings at each red arrow and loop the middle of the strap through the hook-ring of the cherry picker/engine hoist.

Note: My D-rings needed to have a bit of grinder time done to fit without rubbing anything.

View attachment 35162

These are the official lifting points.

There are specific Rotax part #'ed lifting adapters that are intended to be used but any sufficiently strong (rated for at least 70 pounds or so) hardware like a shackle mentioned, can be used. Done it quite a few times.

I used one of these:
image_8058.jpeg
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-ton-capacity-heavy-duty-load-leveler-67441.html

If you remove the chains from the bar, flip the chains around and bolt them back in place, the d shackles (that previously attached the chains to the bar) are a near perfect fit for the factory lift locations. There is a slight interference with one of the mounting screws for the ignition coil. I temporarily removed this screw while lifting the engine.
PXL_20221214_015716609.MP.jpgPXL_20221214_015647602.MP.jpg
-On the last picture you can see the shackle interference since I didn't bother to remove the ignition coil screw just to take this picture.

View attachment 35162

This is what I needed. Very simple. Thank you!

A half ton chain block attached to a sufficiently strong roof truss will do the job. Only problem is you have to manoeuvre the plane to the engine, as it can only go up or down. The engine weighs less than 100 kilograms, so even a quarter ton block will do it safely.
Cheers DaveH

The cost isn't really the issue, but I lack the means to transport one.

I'm seeing some folding models that might do the trick.

Harbor Freight's folding engine hoist is fine. I've had it in the back of my Prius. I prefer teh back of my truck, though.

The hoist folds and unfolds (and indeed disassembles or reassembles) rapidly.

Dave

Is there any practical alternative to buying, borrowing or renting an engine hoist?

Two of us picked up the engine from the box to put it on the bench - it's not that heavy.

We did use a borrowed hoist to mount it as it takes a little time to get it in exactly the right place.

Robert

Is there any practical alternative to buying, borrowing or renting an engine hoist?

It's easy to find an engine hoist and this isn't the place to go cheap.

Check with your local EAA chapter; someone's got one.

I lend mine out all the time; though I admit I'm not really sure where it is at the moment.

Chain with 1/2" all-thread thru a pipe for a spreader. I believe the Rotax manual states to keep the lifting force on the lugs vertical.

Attachments

• spreader.jpg
    spreader.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 65

As an almost lifelong (did not have a Jeep until 15 years, 8 months of age) Jeep driver I have a hoist from the ceiling that lifts and holds a removable hardtop. I suppose I could use this but would required positioning the RV12 perfectly beneath.

I can understand not wanting to buy an engine hoist/cherry picker and having it take up space in the garage or hangar, though, even with the low cost to pick one up at Harbor Freight. However it is the most practical way to accomplish your task at hand. You could always contact your local EAA chapter and see if you could borrow one. I have found most experimental aircraft owners/builders very willing to help another.

Back