What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hinge Stock - Source for Al hinge for 1/8 pins

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Not a debate on cowling attachment methods.

The associated plans call for the subject materials. The AN and MS specs do not have the equivalent P3 or -3 (or any size) option in the related specs. Does anyone know the source for this? I can get some model specific parts from Vans that I can make work. Three foot long sections sent from Oregon to Florida isn't just potentially expensive, it's also wasteful.

Anyone with any source info, please let me know. Thx.

This might do the trick.

Select 1/8" and whatever length you need.

This might do the trick.

Select 1/8" and whatever length you need.
Thank you. Are you sure or just assuming? It does make a lot of sense from the perspectives:
Knuckle dimension = 1/2
Pin diameter = 1/8
Hinge material = 5052
Vans instructions tell you to discard the original pin (Aluminum) and replace with stainless steel pin stock.

More secondary evidence would be if someone would verify the leak thickness being 0.050"

Thanks again. Hope you're correct

Thanks. If I finally nail down that these are the Vans supplied parts or equal (sure looking so), I'll just order SS rod stock at the same time. They have it cheap and the real cost in any shipping is in the package length. already determined by the hinge stock length. Thx again.

I'm sorry -- I misread your OP. If you want an alternative supplier for hinge stock google up MS20001 (The very good extruded hinge) or the MS20257 (nee AN257 -- rolled aluminum hinge).

For example --

Wicks Aircraft has been helpful in the past as well...

G/L

B

I'm sorry -- I misread your OP. If you want an alternative supplier for hinge stock google up MS20001 (The very good extruded hinge) or the MS20257 (nee AN257 -- rolled aluminum hinge).

For example --

Wicks Aircraft has been helpful in the past as well...

G/L

B
You read/interpreted it correctly. There is no Mil Spec equivalent for what Vans supplies. I had already looked at the various sites and the spec proper. The Al series jumps over the 1/8" pin in the sizes called out by Vans or so it appears.

Attachments

• AN3_THRU_AN20_REV-12 (2).pdf
    530 KB · Views: 36
You read/interpreted it correctly. There is no Mil Spec equivalent for what Vans supplies. I had already looked at the various sites and the spec proper. The Al series jumps over the 1/8" pin in the sizes called out by Vans or so it appears.
So we're talking about the "big hinge" that Van's spec's for the cowl-to-fuselage and gear leg close outs -- correct?

Thanks. It's interesting. That site has the AN/MS spec hinges that jump the subject pin diameter as you'd expect. The
"other" spec hinges come in the same material. The supplied pin is also aluminum which Vans has you discard. The relevant styles come in 0.625 knuckle versus 0,500. This could prove an issue rounding the tightest curves of the cowl. Someone was going to verify leak thickness and hopefully knuckle width from a scrap piece of the Vans supplied part. Hopefully this will be telling.

Thanks again

Thanks. It's interesting. That site has the AN/MS spec hinges that jump the subject pin diameter as you'd expect. The
"other" spec hinges come in the same material. The supplied pin is also aluminum which Vans has you discard. The relevant styles come in 0.625 knuckle versus 0,500. This could prove an issue rounding the tightest curves of the cowl. Someone was going to verify leak thickness and hopefully knuckle width from a scrap piece of the Vans supplied part. Hopefully this will be telling.

Thanks again
The measurements for the rolled eye 1/8 hinge that Van's supplied are: knuckle 0.5", material thickness .060", width when open 1.5".
Sorry I don't know the source but I suspect it is not "aircraft grade" and therefore cheaper than MS hinge and a reason for supplying it.
I expect it would be quite OK to purchase some equivalent size MS hinge from Aircraft Spruce in a 3 foot length. Shipping cost will possibly be more than the hinge, but that's the way it is! Or maybe a builder near you will have some surplus that was leftover.

Thanks to all. Another confirmation if you don't mind as I can't tell from the manuals since Vans part numbers are specified. It's obvious the aluminum pin is replaced with a SS one. It seems from other posts here that the replacement pin is also 090 versus 125.; undersized for the eyelets. Can any of you 4, 6, 7, 8 builders confirm this?

Thanks again

For the 1/8" commercial hinges that Van's uses to attach the vertical sides of the lower cowling to the firewall:
  • They come with an aluminum pins that are to be discarded. I measure this pin .124 dia.
  • The Van's pin is part number SSP-120 (stainless steel pin 0.120 dia) and comes in lengths 1', 2', and 3'. The one's I got from Van's many years ago measure .116 dia.
  • I purchased two each 1/8" x 2' pins from McMaster, part number 89535K16. They are spec'd 0.125 +/- .001 and install easily.

Last edited:
Thanks to all. Another confirmation if you don't mind as I can't tell from the manuals since Vans part numbers are specified. It's obvious the aluminum pin is replaced with a SS one. It seems from other posts here that the replacement pin is also 090 versus 125.; undersized for the eyelets. Can any of you 4, 6, 7, 8 builders confirm this?

Thanks again
Yes the replacement pin along the top of the cowl is .090 (mine actually measures .087) and Van's sent non-stainless pin material. It is under-sized so that it can bend around the curves.

The replacement stainless pins from Van's for the vertical sides measures 0.115. Some 0.125 stainless TIG welding rod also fits but it is a little more difficult to insert.

Back