What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

heavy wing

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i have read the threads about this and i have a few questions before i fix it. my first build had a heavy wing and it was very easy to fix it with a wedge, so i am inclined to do that with my rv12 rather than bending the trailing edge. i have questions about using a wedge. is there a reason to put it on heavy or light wing? it would seem less noticeable to put it on the underside of the flaperon but i see a lot of wedges on top of an aileron. it would also seem better to put it at mid wing. then less likely to hit the hor. stab if it leaves and also not ''torquing'' the entire length of the flaperon. soooooooo... put it on light or heavy wing and is it best on top or bottom.

The best solution would be to try and resolve it using other methods.
Have you searched specifically in the RV-12 forum?

The two most common corrections for heavy wing on an RV-12 are adjusting the flapper trailing edge shape to be correct, and adjusting the elevation of the flapperon elevation at the outboard end.
It often takes a bit of both.

The simplest, most effective, adjustable, non-destructive - and invisible way to solve the heavy wing problem is to attach a section of plastic straw (harvest various sizes from 7-Eleven, Wawa, MickeyD's, etc...) under the outer trailing edge of the light wing's aileron (picture coming soon).
Cut a section about 3 inches long and attach it with two strips of UMHW/duct tape on the ends of the straw. Straw is parallel to the trailing edge, about one inch up and the outer end of the straw about one inch from the edge of the aileron. Test its effect. Fatter/longer section of straw for more effect.
Once the heavy wing issue is gone, attach the straw more permanently with some dabs of E6000. I did this about 10 years ago and have never had to change anything.
I didn't keep good notes and am pretty sure this solution is applied to the light side's aileron; concept is that it slightly subtracts lift on this side, allowing the heavy side to come up a little. If that aggravates the problem, then do it on the heavy side, but I'm pretty sure it's applied to the light side.
Cost, ~$0, takes a minute or two, adjustable, invisible, etc... Post results please.

Back