What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heated Pitot Tube for RV-14

bacstabber

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm at the point of installing the heated pitot tube in my wing. I have a Gretz Heated tube in my RV-8 but I wanted to know if anybody has an alternative suggestion. I have not decided on the avionics system I will be installing but I am leaning towards a Dynon system. Will a Dynon Pitot work with a Garmin system and vice versa?

I do want to install all of the tubes and wires prior to installing the lower skins.

Would you suggest that I just purchase a mast from ACS that is supposed to work with most systems and then buy the system-specific heated pitot tube once I make the final decision?

Thanks,

I do want to install all of the tubes and wires prior to installing the lower skins.

That’s what I did except I’ve committed to going with the GSX so the pitot is a heated unregulated Garmin with AOA. Located in same spot as OEM pitot. Power twisted with ground and ran it as far aft as possible in wing bay where it passes by Magnetometer.

Attachments

• 20210828_121321.jpg
    20210828_121321.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 20220531_201836.jpg
    20220531_201836.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 79
Avery aluminum mast works with both Garmin and Dynon and it is anodized.

You don't have to decide now on the brand of pitot till you decide on your avionics. It would make sense to me to buy the same brand as your avionics when time comes.

I have been very happy with the Garmin heated pitot. I had the Dynon on my RV7A which they had to replace it due to lack of drainage. The controller also had a minor issue but I just lived with it.

Back