What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heat vent mod instructions?

SabreFlyr

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I know that I've seen the instructions for modifying the right side heat vent to reduce excess heat on that side. That's a step that I could do at any time now but, of course, I've searched all over (as far as I can figure) but can't find them. Was it a service bulletin, revision to the kit assembly instructions, or something other?

I cannot find the reference either. I know I saw it in the EXP engine instructions however not sure where else they may have been as I don't have an EXP.

I am not sure if this is the instruction you mean, but there has been discussion here about installing the plate that closes the passenger side heater box early to allow a portion of the heated air to reach the pilot side. It is better to install it earlier than described in the plans, because access is much better before the engine mount, etc. are installed.

I am not sure if this is the instruction you mean, but there has been discussion here about installing the plate that closes the passenger side heater box early to allow a portion of the heated air to reach the pilot side. It is better to install it earlier than described in the plans, because access is much better before the engine mount, etc. are installed.

That's what I was thinking. I'm going to look closer at the FWF instructions, particularly OP-62.

And there it is on OP 62-17! (I know I've seen it elsewhere as OP-62 which didn't exist when I first saw those instructions.)

Thanks, guys!

Page 48-04. Part FF-00084 is included in FF kit…as long as your exhaust hasn’t been backordered cause it’s included with that part of FF kit. Gonna call Monday and have them send me the FF-00084 (shows they are in stock) so I can do it now in section 28.

Page 48-04. Part FF-00084 is included in FF kit…as long as your exhaust hasn’t been backordered cause it’s included with that part of FF kit. Gonna call Monday and have them send me the FF-00084 (shows they are in stock) so I can do it now in section 28.

Todd, I think I'm going to do the same thing. My exhaust system is on backorder. No where near needing the exhaust yet but I'd like to install the FF-00084 before I install my motor mount (which is also still a little way off).

Page 28-09 step 3. Don’t discard hinge template. Use it as a shim so the vent door does not get hinge bound.
2CF9AD75-17E6-4A01-AE37-2B2FDBCF9EC0.jpg

Hi guys.
As an experience from the first 100H flying, the heating system is extremely efficient. We didn‘t install the mod, leaving it in the basic mode, means hot air is able to flow out on the right CoPilot sides heater box. But the heat exchanger is extremely efficient and even only heating the left side, we barely open the heat box more than 2 or 3 notches on the push pull cable.
Long story short, IMHO the mod is unnecessary ;)

For what its' worth, I have my engine mount installed, but not the engine and doing this mod was very easy. Literally took about 5-10 minutes to complete. Just use one of the long aviation drills to drill out the 2 blind rivets, and install the new ones. I was even able to get my pneumatic blind rivet puller in there.

I'm glad I saw this thread. Had I not, I would have hung the engine and waited to do this mod. At that point I can't imagine how much of a pain it would be. My advice? If you are going to do it, do it early.

Same advice if you are planning to use the Vertical Power PPS. I plan to install this unit in the same place and use the same nut plates as was earlier installed for the master relay and starter solenoid. I'm fabricating the bracket to hold the PPS to install now before hanging the engine after which it would be MUCH more difficult.

Hey all,

Can someone tell me the purpose of this mod? I can't figure out why the EXP119 conversion would even call for blocking one of these bypass routes.

Thanks!
G

Hey all,

Can someone tell me the purpose of this mod? I can't figure out why the EXP119 conversion would even call for blocking one of these bypass routes.

Thanks!
G

Has nothing to do with the 119.
It is required to allow the heating system to work with 2 heat valves sharing one air source and not have each valve effect the flow of the other when adjustments are made.

Back