What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heat treatment for RV-4 landing gear legs

Clouddancer

Well Known Member
I do have a set of RV-4 landing gear legs that will need final heat treatment. Most will probably ask why: the previous builder built the engine mount and landing gear legs himself! But the legs made from 6150 spring steel need the final heat treatment. I cannot find any indication on the heat treatment in the plans and the construction manual. Does anyone have an idea?

Heat treat

I have it somewhere if I can find it. IIRC it calls for Rockwell 42-44 condition. Harmon Lange would probably provide the info. Probably not practical to ship to him because of shipping cost. He makes the round gears for Vans as well as for other aircraft. Langair Machining

Here You Go

From RV4 - Drwg. 38 "Landing Gears, Wheel Attach, Etc"

From another view on that drawing - 6150 Alloy steel is spec'd for the gear legs.

HFS
RV4 - S/N 1136

Attachments

• RV4 - Landing Gear (Heat Treatment).jpg
    RV4 - Landing Gear (Heat Treatment).jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 111
Heat Treatment

Heat treatment of steel is a common industrial process. You should be able to find a source near your location. Request vacuum process.
They will need to know the material type, overall size, L X W X H, thickest section, weight, and hardness.
Hope this helps.

Thanks

I have it somewhere if I can find it. IIRC it calls for Rockwell 42-44 condition. Harmon Lange would probably provide the info. Probably not practical to ship to him because of shipping cost. He makes the round gears for Vans as well as for other aircraft. Langair Machining

Thank you all! You were right. I got the same message from Harmon Lange: they should be treated to 42-44 HRC.

Back