What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HDX Not Displaying Traffic Very Well...

Piper J3

Well Known Member
My friend has a RV-12 with dual Dynon HDX displays running latest firmware 16.4.0. We think we’re running the latest ADSB-472 software.

My RV-12 has dual Dynon D180 /D100. I have two mini iPads both running ForeFlight for navigation, weather, and traffic. One iPad is set to display near traffic and the second iPad displays all traffic. I have uAvionix echoUAT for ADS-B. We often fly in loose formation and chat on 122.75 comparing traffic seen on EFIS displays.

The HDX struggles to show consistent traffic even nearby. Sometimes traffic has ghosts and/or traffic disappears and maybe, but not allows… reappears. FF on my iPads is much more solid.

Does anyone else experience this with HDX?

Just as a data point.

I’m not running 16.4 and I have no issues with traffic other than the occasional ghost from myself.

Only shows traffic within 12 miles I believe.

My I-pad shows way more traffic than the HDX in the panel. And yes I have the latest updates. I just confirmed it yesterday.
I will see 4-5 times more traffic on the ipad v/s HDX. Don't know why I just do.
But, I have no idea as to whether the other aircraft has What ever.
Art

I suspect that the Dynon is doing more filtering of the traffic. I have the Classic/Touch era hardware with the latest software. Traffic nearby is pretty reliable. Traffic off the to the sides or behind my flight path comes and goes.
Try turning around as you fly to see if known targets appear/disappear.

Traffic issues

I have the same problem, even moved my ADSB antenna as suggested to have less interference with the transponder antenna.
What I discovered is if you turn off your transponder all your traffic with show up in areas you lost it. Yes that’s strange that why we figured it was the antennas being to close to each other.
Try it. Once you loose traffic pull your transponder beaker Boom 💥 you now have traffic. Reset it and it’ll go blank with traffic again or show much less traffic.

Been meaning to contact Dynon about it just haven’t had the chance. Hopefully they are monitoring VAF. Some one will have an answer.

I have the same problem, even moved my ADSB antenna as suggested to have less interference with the transponder antenna.
What I discovered is if you turn off your transponder all your traffic with show up in areas you lost it. Yes that’s strange that why we figured it was the antennas being to close to each other.
Try it. Once you loose traffic pull your transponder beaker Boom 💥 you now have traffic. Reset it and it’ll go blank with traffic again or show much less traffic.

Been meaning to contact Dynon about it just haven’t had the chance. Hopefully they are monitoring VAF. Some one will have an answer.

I too have been having problems and believe I found the issue. Dynon recieves traffic from one of two sources: TIS or TIS-B (ADSB trafficJ. The Dynon system seems to prioritize the TIS traffic and switches to it when it can receive it. TIS is a legacy system and is being phased out. In the setup turn off TIS traffic, this will cause the system to only use the ADSB traffic and will work very well.

I too have been having problems and believe I found the issue. Dynon recieves traffic from one of two sources: TIS or TIS-B (ADSB trafficJ. The Dynon system seems to prioritize the TIS traffic and switches to it when it can receive it. TIS is a legacy system and is being phased out. In the setup turn off TIS traffic, this will cause the system to only use the ADSB traffic and will work very well.

Back