What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Has it Got a Name?

Since I have been scoulded over a long period.....

of time to paint my airplane Bright Red & Black "or some other ugly color" and the three other 6's painted the same have movie theme names.

My 6 will be the "High Plains Drifter" after it comes out of the paint shop.

"Paint everything Red."

Callipygian

I really like FLYTOBOAT's name for his airplane. FLYTOBOAT, be sure you paint it on the airplane with two Ls. I think it should be spelled CALLIPYGIAN. It means "a woman with shapely buttocks". You've got the right idea for requirements for giving rides.

Yes, I just caught that mis-spelling. Actually I named my houseboat "Callipygian" and now I'm thinking of another name for my airplane. My favorite singer/songwriter was Dan Fogelberg and I am thinking about using the title of a song he wrote (from the "Full Circle" CD) called "Icarus Ascending" in his memory. At least it has an aeronautical theme...

Ruthless II

I have named my -6a after my grandfather's B-17. My grandmother's name is Ruth. So, when my grandfather was in WWII he named his B-17 Ruthless. Sort of a double meaning. I really like that name and now that she is gone, I am Ruthless too.

Junior, for now

Since my -6, Mikey, and Paul's -8, the Valkyrie, brought the four of us together into a family, we have fallen into calling our developing RV-3B "Junior" during its gestation stage. Like many families, the "official" name after its birth may be change. After all, we're not sure if it will be female or male.;)

Oh, and Mikey (N164MS) was named for his builder, Mike Seager (who made a beautiful plane).

Last edited:
In our household, the RV-8 has two different names...
My daughter calls her "Amelia".
My wife and I call her "Money Sucking Whore".
Now that my wife has taken her first ride in her, she says "Money Sucking Whore" with a grin and a wink... ;)
I think they like each other...

I dream about the nose art that could match the name... wow!

My Dad was a Pastor...

...and loved to preach about the Apostle, Paul. He often mentioned how Paul would 'sojourn' in different towns on his missionary trips. The word kinda stuck with me for years...

My-6A therefore, became 'Sojourner', a common British word of the day.

Blue skies,

I didn't have to name mine...

The locals took care of that for me. I'll explain. My 9A has a big bright yellow tail. A common "traditional" RV scheme. I live along the Cape Fear coast, and the airplane gets a heads up quite often when I fly the beach at "minimum legal
altitude" wing down, doing my public service, early morning shark spotting run.

"Yellowtail" it is!!

Actually, it's "Yallertail" with application of the sexy Carolina twang....

Absolutely stuck like glue.

Regards,
Chris

Lil Red Thing...

During our trip to Sun-N-Fun 2009, we decided to take a day away from the show and fly to Key West. I was on down wind for 27 at KEYW, and the controller was calling out the traffic (me) to a Bonanza behind me. After several position reports by the controller, the Bonanza driver just could not seem to see me. Finally the controller blurted out "It's that Lil Red Thing right in front of you!" Once I was on the ground, the controller said "N6312V turn left on Bravo, remain on this frequency." My read back was "Turn left on Bravo, this freq, Lil Red Thing." The controller keyed the mic and burst out laughing.

My wing man was a Navion carrying 4 of my good friends. They heard this whole thing and thought that it was hilarious. From that point on......N6312V has been the Lil Red Thing.

Another fun name

This one might stick -

"Gravity Taxes" might just be a fun name.
I'm starting a ritual that every time my -8 is off the ground, at some point in the flight, the lift vector must be pointed below the horizon, e.g. rolled. I call this "paying my gravity taxes".

I like Paul's story behind Valkyrie, I always wondered. Kinda scary though - we don't want it to take Paul's spirit to Valhalla just yet!;)

Wish I had something with deeeeeep meaning, but....

I was planning a paint sheme like the Blue Nosed Mustang theme and the name for obvious reasons was planned to be "Jesse's Girl".

But as the build goes on I am becoming completely undecided on paint scheme. :(

I'm also worried that that stupid song will be forever stuck in my head! Some even suggested a boom box with "Jesse's Girl" playing on a loop for air shows and gatherings and such......AAAAAaaaaaaccckkkkkkk.....

So in the end maybe it'll just be "Two Niner Zulu".

We'll see.

A name that won't stick

We had just moved our new-to-us RV-6 into the hangar and my partner was showing it to his girlfriend. She asks, "What's its name?" He says, "Um... it's... uh... ", glances at the placard on the flaps, and says "... 'No Step'."

Hasn't stuck :).

--Paul

since i was a ramper for a major airline when i started the build, and i spent 25 seasons working ramp ops at reno the 4 got named ramp rat.

CADDY

We've named ours "Caddy"... as in the one who carries the clubs. The hangar, yep, its the "Caddyshack" and the N-number, N2724G - 2 4 Golf - There is a theme here!

Soon "Caddy" will be taking us to play golf around the country...

Uh Oh!

Hey Don:

Was worried when I read this. Icarus' flight didn't work out so well. Perhaps Daedalus might be better. Admittedly it doesn't have the same ring.

Yes, I just caught that mis-spelling. Actually I named my houseboat "Callipygian" and now I'm thinking of another name for my airplane. My favorite singer/songwriter was Dan Fogelberg and I am thinking about using the title of a song he wrote (from the "Full Circle" CD) called "Icarus Ascending" in his memory. At least it has an aeronautical theme...

"My Gecko"

After verbalizing the N number I reserved a few years ago (N72ME), I realized I had a problem. Decided to stick with it. There is already a green lizard toy nailed to the shop door by my wife.

I wonder if I could get Geico to sponsor the paint job??? :D

Mine is...

Hi.

I bought my first -7 partly complete by a US-builder who was forced to sell his plane. I felt kinda sorry for him but we've become good friends since.
His first name is William, his last name is starting with Co, so I named the plane after him: WILCO.
That word has ofcourse a nice meaning in the aviation world too, so I like it.

His nickname is Bill, his wife's name is Ann and their store's name starts with a "W", so I registrered the plane LN-BAW.
("LN" is the two first mandtory letters for all civilian Norwegian planes.)

My second -7 is named "Kermit".
Why? Take a look at my last name.... :D

TUT

My bride named the plane. Like she does several other things around here. :D

She simply said, why don't we call it TUT, which of course stands for "The Ultimate Toy".

She is right of course, and loves to fly. I usually refer to her as "My American Express Card". I can't leave home without her, and don't want to.

Steve Smith was right on though in one of his post. The best description I have heard of the RV's is "magic carpet".

Icarus

Hey Don:

Was worried when I read this. Icarus' flight didn't work out so well. Perhaps Daedalus might be better. Admittedly it doesn't have the same ring.

haha. Yeah I thought of that, but I've got it all figured out: if I'm going to fly close to the sun, I'll go at night;)

"Island Time"

My wife and I take a lot of trips to the beach and have a little place on the 3rd Coast in Port Aransas. We're also big fans of Texas music and Larry Joe Taylor who has written a song by the same name. We plan to use "Island Time" for trips to PortA and many points beyond.

When I bought my Luscombe 8A as a basket case, I put it on a trailer and wrote "Phoenix" on the side. When I finished it and started flying, the name changed to the "Luscombe Silvaire Bullet" (all 85 knots of it!). I built my RV-8 with good advice from Bob Parker, who painted his RV in checkertail colors like the Mustang of his namesake, and named it "Sizzlin' Sue" after his wife. After some thought, I painted mine like the airplanes of the blue-nosed *******s of Bodney, and named her "Sweet Nancy Lynn" after my wife. Bob always gives me great advice, and if you guys ever want the paint formula for the Merlin Blue on the nose, let me know!

Terry Lutz
RV-8
Luscombe 8A

We had just moved our new-to-us RV-6 into the hangar and my partner was showing it to his girlfriend. She asks, "What's its name?" He says, "Um... it's... uh... ", glances at the placard on the flaps, and says "... 'No Step'."

Hasn't stuck :).

--Paul

Which one was blonde?

The HurlMaker II

When I was racing I became known for getting students sick when giving rides/instructing. Thus the car became known as the Hurl Maker and I raced as Team Hurl Racing.

So the guys and gals I raced with have taken to calling the plane "HurlMaker II".

Man, I sure miss that car!!!

Whilst flying back from Hutchinson, KS a couple of weeks ago I think a may have stumbled upon a great name. It seems that the BUG population is huge here out west and everytime I fly, I spend half an hour or better cleaning them off. The trip from Hutch was especially bad and took an hour to get it all cleaned up.

The name....."Bug Masher" :D

Reminded me of back when I was working my way through college building a metal airplane (not an RV, sorry) for a fellow. I had a shop in an old barn adjacent to a creek. Between the water and the barnyard, I got to calling the shop the "Bug Farm."

Often, I'd casually tell someone I was going to the Bug Farm and they'd look at me kind of funny. A common question was, did we actually raise bugs there intentionally?

It was a decent part-time student job, except in the winter.

Back