What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HAM radio pilots

I know nothing about HAM but find this thread very entertaining. I am certain that you are communicating but I can’t decipher the language. I keep seeing words I recognize but then acronyms take over and the moment of comprehension is lost. 😋

This thread reminded me to check on my license status. Looks like it expired recently! :( I just spent 45 minutes navigating the FCC site to successfully renew it for $35. 10 years goes by so fast... I only use my license for APRs. Between ADS-B, APRS, and my 406 ELT, I'm pretty sure somebody can find me if I go missing.

Meloosifah: Ask us anything about the hobby or anything we’ve mentioned and we will be happy to answer. 99% of the hams out there are willing to share their knowledge with anyone that shows any interest in the hobby, even if they choose to never participate. BTW, it’s one hobby that can be enjoyed by anyone, almost anywhere in the world and no matter your physical health or status. Some of the best operators I’ve ever known, had major physical limitations that had little effect on being involved in ham radio.

This thread reminded me to check on my license status. Looks like it expired recently! :( I just spent 45 minutes navigating the FCC site to successfully renew it for $35. 10 years goes by so fast... I only use my license for APRs. Between ADS-B, APRS, and my 406 ELT, I'm pretty sure somebody can find me if I go missing.

You’re not kidding about the faa website. It also took me over an hour to decipher the convoluted websites and apply for a GMRS license.

This thread reminded me to check on my license status. Looks like it expired recently! :( I just spent 45 minutes navigating the FCC site to successfully renew it for $35.

Ditto. Maybe even worse than renewing my TSA Pre-check was a couple of years ago. Horrible website experiences.

KT4LT. Pretty much inactive since I re-discovered airplanes. Left my HF antenna up so the neighbors stay accustomed to it…

I’m curious how many RVers on VAF are HAM radio operators.

I haven’t been radioactive since I moved 16 years ago but keep my license active.
After I get my build done, I plan to get my HF rigs out and set up my shack.

73’s
AD4AC
(Extra)
There have been many articles written over the years in magazines and post here. About pilots running a random wire out the plane.

As an airline pilot I used HF for official long distance communications over Atlantic, but some pilots would use the HF radio for QSO or at least monitor when over land.

APRS is popular and fun.

Count me in!

K9HNB Advanced, licensed in 1961 as a novice. Activity varies depending on what is going on. I got my license through a Chicago Boys Club, K9YHB

Paul

I know nothing about HAM but find this thread very entertaining. I am certain that you are communicating but I can’t decipher the language. I keep seeing words I recognize but then acronyms take over and the moment of comprehension is lost. ��
There are courses you can take and get your license... it is not hard since you no longer need to know morse code... There are so much you can do and such a variety. The lingo is easy to pickup. The "Q" signals or codes are easy to pick up, there is a list but the most used make up a handful. CQ - Calling anyone.. based on morse code but verbalized CEE-QUE with "phone" (voice communications). 73 or seventy-three's is best regards and also comes from days telegraph operators back in the days. Now you know.

If you don't want to get your license SWL (short wave listening) is fun. A lot of the world is still primitive, no cell phone, internet and HF or Shortwave) radio is all they have. You can listen to amateur radio as well as commercial stations. There is interesting news, music, programs and here every language.

The new thing (to me) is DRM. You use a VHF handheld radio (set up for DRM), link through a repeater, talk to someone halfway around the world, on their radio. The audio quality is excellent. It uses the internet to port your com around the world to another repeater.

Last edited:
Me Too

K9HOG for me and K9LOH for my wife.
I'm active on 2m/40cm and HF. I have a Yaesu FTDX101D and FTM 2000 in my shack and an FTDX10 in my Travel Trailer and an FTM6000 in my truck.
We will be camping at Oshkosh again this year. I'll be monitoring 2m simplex calling freq 146.520 MHz. We will be at the Oshkosh Social.
73's Hope to see you at KOSH.

Back