What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Halon-Filled Fire Extinguishers in Canada

Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
A local builder ran into an administrative glitch during the final inspection of his RV-3 last week. The MD-RA inspector insisted that he could not approve the aircraft as it had a halon-filled fire-extinguisher. He had been told by MD-RA headquarters that Transport Canada had sent a letter which said that they should not approve aircraft with halon-filled fire extinguishers.

The builder asked me if I could shed any light on the subject. I dug into the TC regs and guidance material, and couldn't find anything that should preclude the use of a halon-filled fire extinguisher. I then sent an e-mail to the TC inspector who is responsible for coordinating the airworthiness policy for amateur-built aircraft. He replied that halon-filled fire extinguishers were completely "legal".

If anyone else runs into this problem, you find more info on my web site.

Has there been any motion from the powers that be to block the use of Halon in Canada? I'm in need of an extinguisher for my -6, and am looking at Aircraft Spruce as a good source for a reasonably sized Halon extinguisher. Does anyone know if MD-RA will accept them, and/or if there's any directives from TC that say they are or are not okay?

The situation has not changed. TC still references FAA AC 20-42C has providing the guidance for aircraft fire extinguishers. That AC calls for halon fire extinguishers. If MD-RA gives you grief ask to see a copy of the guidance from TC which prohibits halon.

Back