What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Had to share - I got mine!

aadamson

Well Known Member
After all the D2A debacle, I just had to share.... I got my dual screen Chelton Sport with GADAHRS (pinpoint), MSU, OAT, connector kit etc. After paying in full over 20months ago and then having to repay, I finally got what I wanted... Best part is that I have a panel all ready cut out for it :)...I did get my Free TT AP back when that deal was on, so I suppose my net cost isn't that painful, but not knowing, and then not knowing from whom was PITA...

Best part after flying a G1000 182 for the last 2 years (I have over 100hrs behind it, in all kinds of conditions). I just can't believe how much more function there is the CFS environment. I was playing with the simulator today and had a whacky flight plan entered. I was set up LNAV (not to be confused with GPS LNAV) and VNAV (again not GPS VNAV) with a combination of HDG and Altitude restrictions/setting at specific waypoints and watching the HITS boxes lead those vertical and horizontal specifications.... Then it hit me.... Once I have the TT AP slaved to the CFS EFIS, all of those changes will be flown *automagically*. Now that's cool.... Ever seen a full approach flown from the IAF to the MAP (with all the step downs if needed), back to the HOLD, enter the hold and fly circles all while not having to touch any buttons? It's very cool.... Probably never happen in real life, but just knowing it can is ... priceless....

Anway, enough of this, I'm excited... Now back to finishing my airplane!

Last edited:
Yes, I have...well, almost.

aadamson said:
Ever seen a full approach flown from the IAF to the MAP (with all the step downs if needed), back to the HOLD, enter the hold and fly circles all while not having to touch any buttons? It's very cool.... Probably never happen in real life, but just knowing it can is ... priceless....

Yes, I have...last Saturday ...well almost. In a 2007 Turbo 182 with the Garmin autopilot and the G1000 panels, a friend demonstrated a GPS WAAS approach into KDCU. It was quite impressive. All he had to do was adjust prop and power for his desired airspeed and the electrons did the rest. Once he activated the approach all he did was watch; it even told him ahead of time what it was going to do. Countdown to heading change, countdown to intercept, altitude letdown, etc. all the way down a "glideslope" to 250 ft AGL. We were in VMC but it was amazing to watch. He didn't demonstrate the missed approach, but he said with a touch of a button it would fly the missed approach all the way into the holding pattern.

I'm guessing your Chelton (with free TT AP) costs less than his G1000's and Garmin autopilot so for the money spent you probably are getting more bang for the buck, but it is really impressive to see what the future will hold for the yet-to-be instrument pilots out there. I'm not an automatic Garmin fan, although I do own a 396 for my lowly '69 172. I'm just amazed at the maturity of the integrated package for the pilot willing to invest in all the newest bells and whistles.

It also occurred to me that there are a lot of us who are buying the newest electronic bells and whistles for our RV's and they/we will never fully utilize what they/we install in our panels. Van's personal RV-10 per the latest RVator has only an AFS-3500 with AOA, a 396, a Garmin transponder, an ICOM comm radio, a Digiflite II autopilot and a PS Engineering intercom. That's it. Sounds like he doesn't plan on flying in any IMC.

Don

Last edited:
rv7boy said:
Yes, I have...last Saturday ...well almost. In a 2007 Turbo 182 with the Garmin autopilot and the G1000 panels, a friend demonstrated a GPS WAAS approach into KDCU. It was quite impressive. All he had to do was adjust prop and power for his desired airspeed and the electrons did the rest. (snip)

Donald,

I suppose I should have said... That the version that I watched on the simulator not only worked with a "programmed approach" but also supports a a completely made up version. I created the VNAV's for the climbs and descends and the crossing alts, the turns and holds were also added (as WPTS and specified holds at WPT, distance with turns).

Shoot I own and fly a 2004 182 with G1000 and it can't do half of that... Mind you it does not have the Garmin Flight Director that the new ones come with nor does it have WAAS.... yet :)...

Anyway, good stuff and I for one, do fly my 182 that way... I find it give me more time to stay ahead of the airplane and it's a much more relaxed flight...especially in the crude... :)

Back