What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN series screws for attaching shields

bwestfall

Well Known Member
I must say that Garmin does a pretty bang up job with the GTN series GPS install kits. The documentation is great and covers darn near everything. It is well written and easy to follow for a neophyte such as myself.

Maybe I'm just whining but I cannot figure out why they do not supply the MS51957-42 screws, washers and lock washers for attaching the shield termination ring terminals to the shield blocks on the backshell connectors. The manual clearly lists each of the mil spec hardware part numbers for the pieces which is very helpful but who has 8/32 x .312" mil spec hardware laying around?

It is short enough that even if you were going to forego milspec for hardware store quality it is not something even a well stocked ACE Hardware would have. Spruce sells them, among other places, but it seems Garmin could have easily thrown in 6 or 8 of these for almost no additional cost.

Maybe they had to cut back somewhere to keep the unit under $15k :)

</rant>

I was up today flying coupled ILS and RNAV approaches for fun. I remember wondering why those screws were not included too, but trust me.....you won't care once you press approach and she flies in perfectly, even if you are intentionally messing with throttle Etc to see if you can screw the GTN up. That box is simply awesome. Coupled to the G3X and its larger display....I couldn't stop grinning.

Back