What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Mini

Can a single magnetometer be hooked to both an HX and a Mini-X, or does each need its own magnetometer?

-Dj

Katie, Will it pick up the GPS position from a data stream (external) to eliminate one more antenna?

Yes. It can take an RS-232 GPS input thru one of the serial ports. I would use the Mini's antenna instead of another, though, because the GPS aids the attitude calculation if there is no remote magnetometer. If it's a backup, I'd want the Mini to be self-contained.

I have the Mini's internal GPS with the puck and I have a serial feed out of my 650 into the Mini. Just like it's big brothers it allows me to choose GPS 1 or 2.

Also nice for single screen users is the ability to display airport details by selecting MAP, and Details of nearby or destinations airport.

or

Leaving the big screen on one GPS and playing what if with the Mini and it's second GPS. There's going to be a lot of ways to utilize this other that just as a backup system.

It's already becoming my goto place to gain information without having to change screens on the HXr.

Sweeeeeet.

I was disappointed enough about the NC formation flying clinic being cancelled and now I find out I could have seen the Mini on some of the teams planes. Hopefully I'll have mine by the May reschdule.

I will bring some moonshine to ease your grief if not :eek:

1-1 pairing Magnetomer to AHRS as I recall

Can a single magnetometer be hooked to both an HX and a Mini-X, or does each need its own magnetometer?

-Dj

I think that in all cases, magnetometers and AHRS's are PAIRED. One to one.

I have three (3) SX's and three (3) magnetomers. One for each.

James

Katie, thanks for clarification on AHRS. I thought it worrisome when the G brand started adding "panel" instruments based on Gps data alone. I am glad we are past that point in evolution. When I was the test pilot for first AHRS in Alaska Capstone, one interface box cost more than your entire EFIS solutions. We have come a long way and GRT is a big part of that. Kudos to your team and founder.

The OAT sensor uses resistance to help measure the temperature. Splitting off to two units would affect the resistance and throw off the temperature reading.

(What Bob said!)

There is a reason this won't work. They are most limely thermistors which are biased thru a resistor. It would be easy to build a little isolation circuit, though. Or just feed it to the mini, forget using the EIS for this.

Thanks for the responses, but leads to more questions. :)
1. Will I lose any functionality in the EIS if I don't have an OAT probe? (Note: I don't have the pitot/static system connected to the EIS)
2. Will the OAT sensor for the EIS work with the Mini?
3. If OAT is needed for both, could I use a switch (and would it be practical) to alternate the OAT sensor to each unit as required?

My upgrade plan is to install the Mini AP when it's available and an HXR next year as more funds become available. At this point, I just don't see 2 OAT sensors as being a top priority in the redundancy game. :rolleyes:

My opinion, and you get what you pay for here, is hook the OAT to the EIS and it will feed the HXr which will then display, OAT, winds and true airspeed.

I'm not sure but I think if you interlink the Mini and HXr the mini will also display the same information. I'll check that and get back.

My opinion, and you get what you pay for here, is hook the OAT to the EIS and it will feed the HXr which will then display, OAT, winds and true airspeed.

I'm not sure but I think if you interlink the Mini and HXr the mini will also display the same information. I'll check that and get back.

Widget, I agree with you, but I won't have an HXr for at least another year and am trying to get the most out of the Mini AP until then. I don't see anything that the EIS uses the OAT for except to display it. If I can get that info on the Mini plus true airspeed, then I'll connect the OAT sensor to the Mini.
Bottom line: Will I lose any functionality from the EIS without an OAT sensor, and if not, will that OAT sensor work with the Mini? Thanks.

Last edited:
I would move the OAT wires to the mini for now. EIS will only lose the ability to display OAT. Mini will gain the ability to display OAT, TAS, and density altitude.
When you get an HXr, switch OAT wire back to EIS. It will then send the data to the HXr, and from there to the mini - everything will have it.
Edit: I cannot believe the OAT probes would not be the same, but check with GRT when they get back from FL.

Last edited:
I would move the OAT wires to the mini for now. EIS will only lose the ability to display OAT. Mini will gain the ability to display OAT, TAS, and density altitude.
When you get an HXr, switch OAT wire back to EIS. It will then send the data to the HXr, and from there to the mini - everything will have it.
Edit: I cannot believe the OAT probes would not be the same, but check with GRT when they get back from FL.

Thank you, Bob. That's what I wanted to hear :)

The OAT probes are the same for EIS, EFIS and Mini.

The magnetometers are different-- less wiring for the Mini.

D-10 to Mini conversion

I am considering removing my first generation D-10 and replacing it with a Mini-X. Has anyone done that or have an idea of what would be involved? I am looking for a short term primary display to be ultimately replaced with a larger unit and move the Mini to backup. The hole in the panel would have to be enlarged. I prefer not to do major surgery at this point but that will be coming when I decide to pull the trigger on the whole new panel/IFR capabilities. I don't want to take it out of service right now for the time frame to do the major do-over right now.

Thanks.
John
RV-8

It is straightforward

I am considering removing my first generation D-10 and replacing it with a Mini-X. Has anyone done that or have an idea of what would be involved? I am looking for a short term primary display to be ultimately replaced with a larger unit and move the Mini to backup. The hole in the panel would have to be enlarged. I prefer not to do major surgery at this point but that will be coming when I decide to pull the trigger on the whole new panel/IFR capabilities. I don't want to take it out of service right now for the time frame to do the major do-over right now.

Thanks.
John
RV-8
We did this on Widget's RV8.

During a prior upgrade, with anticipation of the Mini, we made the cutout on the panel (#4 nutplates) and made an insert for the cutout. In the center of that insert, we cut a 3 1/8" hole and drilled mounting holes for the D10A.

Each device needs +12V, Ground, Pitot and Static. Other connections are optional.

When the Mini was received we just connected the above and plugged in the antenna puck for the Mini's internal GPS and were off and running.

James

Just received a call from Jon @ GRT - our Mini-X is going out the door this afternoon. Yippeee!

I didn't think to ask about the next production batch and its timeline - sorry.

Hi katieb, im still unsure of the answer, please tell me if I am correct about this: the mini x or ap will not now or ever have ems display flip-flop capability similar to the mgl xtreme.

Not as of today ...

Hi katieb, im still unsure of the answer, please tell me if I am correct about this: the mini x or ap will not now or ever have ems display flip-flop capability similar to the mgl xtreme.

I will let GRT speak for themselves about the future but at the moment there is no Engine "stuff" on the Mini.

James

When did you place your order?

I placed the order early in December - around the 3rd, I think. First production run of Mini's seems to be 10 units for retail customers. Ours is one of those first 10, so it looks like we were pretty early in the order queue.

I'm really itching to get my hands on this thing as it's the last component required to complete our panel upgrade - I've had a gaping hole in the panel, ready to accept the Mini, since late January. It will be very nice indeed to finally have it filled with some gee-whiz hardware! At some point I'd like to trade our 6.5" HS for an HX and to that end have listed the HS display for sale in the classifieds section.

I placed the order early in December - around the 3rd, I think. First production run of Mini's seems to be 10 units for retail customers. Ours is one of those first 10, so it looks like we were pretty early in the order queue.

I'm really itching to get my hands on this thing as it's the last component required to complete our panel upgrade - I've had a gaping hole in the panel, ready to accept the Mini, since late January. It will be very nice indeed to finally have it filled with some gee-whiz hardware! At some point I'd like to trade our 6.5" HS for an HX and to that end have listed the HS display for sale in the classifieds section.

You are under strict obligation to an In depth pirep! :)

I hope I am not waiting months for mine. I ordered mine during snf

Correct-- For engine capability, your best option would be a 6.5" Sport which is a full-featured EFIS with PFD, moving map, internal GPS, and the ability to display engine information from the EIS for $2,600.

I haven't been able to find this on the GRT website or here on VAF... what are the power requirements of the Mini B? IE, how much current (at 14V) should I budget through my VP-X?

Thanks!
Russ

I haven't been able to find this on the GRT website or here on VAF... what are the power requirements of the Mini B? IE, how much current (at 14V) should I budget through my VP-X?

Thanks!
Russ

The Mini draws about a quarter of an amp at full brightness. So, a 1-amp breaker (or equivalent VP-X setting) is recommended.

Working on the Mini manual now, in fact...

The Mini draws about a quarter of an amp at full brightness. So, a 1-amp breaker (or equivalent VP-X setting) is recommended.

Working on the Mini manual now, in fact...

Additional information gleaned from testing our brand-new Mini-X this morning... Keep in mind we don't have a magentometer... yet. They'll be shipping next week if all goes well.

Minimum input voltage = 9.8V
Current at Vmin = 320mA
Current at 13.75Vdc = 235mA
(all of this tested at max brightness setting of 10)

First impressions of this unit? Very slick. The housing is what you would expect to see on equipment installed in a Boeing. Display is bright, very crisp and clear. In fact it's easy to read even for this guy who needs longer arms to read the newspaper. :D

Processor speed looks fast - no lag/jitter in the display.
Buttons feel exactly like those on their big-brother GRT EFIS units.
GPS lock time is fast.
Don't be fooled by the push-on GPS connector - it remains firmly attached and in fact I'm still trying to figure out how to safely disconnect it without putting strain on the coax cable. The connector on the cable is a right-angle push-on tiny coaxial connector so you don't need to worry about how far it projects behind the EFIS.

Can't wait to get this thing flying. It will be going in our currently-flying airplane so I can get some experience with GRT's buttonology before it finds its way into is permanent home in our Glasair Sportsman project. While in its temporary location I'll be able to contrast it with our Dynon D100. This should be good fun.

Correct-- For engine capability, your best option would be a 6.5" Sport which is a full-featured EFIS with PFD, moving map, internal GPS, and the ability to display engine information from the EIS for $2,600.

Katie,

Does that mean the mini won't ever have engine capability? From your posts last year I understood there was an intention to produce a version of the Mini to supersede the EIS-4000 (etc).

Peter

Dual AHRS voter?

Katie,

Can you explain what "voter for Dual AHRS" in the product description means?

Thanks,
Andy

Katie,

Does that mean the mini won't ever have engine capability? From your posts last year I understood there was an intention to produce a version of the Mini to supersede the EIS-4000 (etc).

Peter

There is a Mini EMS on the drawing board, but I absolutely refuse to guess about if/when such a thing might be finished. :eek:

Katie,

Can you explain what "voter for Dual AHRS" in the product description means?

Thanks,
Andy

The voter comes into play if you're using a GRT Horizon system as your primary instrumentation and you have dual AHRS. Through the inter-display serial link, the Mini can serve as the tiebreaker to decide which AHRS to disregard if the two main AHRS units disagree. Normally there are internal calculations done to monitor and throw out bad AHRS data, but the addition of the Mini attitude data provides an even greater degree of certainty.

The voter comes into play if you're using a GRT Horizon system as your primary instrumentation and you have dual AHRS. Through the inter-display serial link, the Mini can serve as the tiebreaker to decide which AHRS to disregard if the two main AHRS units disagree. Normally there are internal calculations done to monitor and throw out bad AHRS data, but the addition of the Mini attitude data provides an even greater degree of certainty.

Didnt the space shuttle use the same kind of system------triple redundancy and best two is what is presented???

Didnt the space shuttle use the same kind of system------triple redundancy and best two is what is presented???

It was a LITTLE more complicated than that Mike - I have a 400 page book that describes the process - but triple redundancy does allow you to rule out a single bad player...most of the time.

Fitting it in the six pack?

I was out changing the oil today thinking about my future mini x but I hadn't a tape measure to figure out how it's going to fit. For people like me that have a regular old six pack, will this fit in place of the attitude indicator? Or will you be moving the other instruments out further ? Those getting theirs installed please share

Eric,
It does not fit between two adjacent regular 3 1/8 instruments.
Almost... but not quite. I took a day to fabricate a custom sub panel last week.
Now, it has a place of honor. And it is bright and steady and I love it already.
My analog instruments are about to hit barnstormers...

Just received my Mini B. Sweet device!

Katie, do you guys have an online user's and/or install manual?

Thanks!
Russ

DSC01134_1024.JPG

DSC01133_1024.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Russ, I'm glad you like it! I'm working on the installation/user manual right now and planning to publish the first edition on our website later this week. All the public Mini documentation is on this page. If you have any specific questions, let me know!

Hi Katie,

Thanks for the info. I've checked out that page for panel cutout sizing and wiring before powering the unit up to make sure I had all required connections in place.

Looking forward to the full manuals. I better let you get back to work. :)

Thanks again,
Russ

Nice!
Thank you Russ.
It's going to be a tight fit in my panel. I have exactly 4.35in. between the face of the ASI and Altimeter and about 0.05in. on each side behind the panel.
The good thing is that I will have the maximum EFIS screen size that will fit without major remodeling of my panel.

IMG_0570a.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!
Thank you Russ.
It's going to be a tight fit in my panel. I have exactly 4.35in. between the face of the ASI and Altimeter and about 0.05in. on each side behind the panel.
The good thing is that I will have the maximum EFIS screen size that will fit without major remodeling of my panel.

IMG_0570a.jpg

Thanks Dennis I'm looking forward to seeing how yours will fit. FYI I ordered mine the week of sun and fun and the update I got last week was approx one month until i will see mine. Also my attitude indicator just started acting up so this is good timing.

How to do you get pitot line to both the backup asi and the efis ? I know nothing about panels.

Last edited:
I ordered mine April 25th and I was told between 6 to 8 weeks of wait.

There seems to be a T connector for both the static and pitot at the back of the instrument.
Maybe Russ can confirm?

Mine has a separate port for Static and Pitot pressure. I used a T to run static over to the transponder when I plumbed it.
Note to self: When taxiing around and on takeoff roll.... the airspeed data window is blank. At about 30 or 40 it comes alive. In the tests I have done so far including slow flight, stalls, cruise up to 16000 ft. etc. the airspeed readings are spot on.
My wife just flew with it for the first time yesterday morning and can read it just fine from the right seat. I set the font size for the main three data blocks to large. We can both read it with sunglasses too. The slip skid ball is dampened somewhat... but I have to say I like that. The autopilot next to it has the old school ball floating in a curved glass. (note: Trio often gets asked to make the bubble go away... they have to explain that, no... you don't really want that)
I am drifting and not coordinated here. Back to the Mini. It likes to be sitting still when started up... but not a strict requirement. I have tried taxiing out while it is erecting. It comes alive and does it's thing just fine. I have set a couple of waypoints in the box... to use the built in GPS for a course line. Works fine... just don't plan to really use it for that very much.
I will wander over to the for sale forums soon and post all the old vacuum gyro instruments. I won't be needing them with the MINI. Thanks GRT.

Back