What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT EFIS as CDI

petehowell

Well Known Member
Hello,

Can the GRT be used as a CDI for an SL30? I don't think so based on the GRT site, but it was unclear.

Pete

Hey Pete,

Yes it can, either as "Needles" which are two yellow lines across the face of the efis creating the effect of rectilinear CDI needles. Or they may display in the "Scales" setting in which there are circles bellow the horizon and to the side of the horizon, in a horizontal and vertical line respectively, and then a little arrow goes from one circle to the next, highlighting the circle it is pointing at.

http://www.grtavionics.com/efis_horizond_series_1.htm#Primary_Flight_Data_Display

scroll down about half way and click on the pictures.

how 'bout a gns480 (cnx80)

if i can piggyback onto this thread, what about the gns480? from the way i interpreted what was written on the grt website, it appears that they claim that apollo/garmin "forgot" to send the nav data out the serial port, but could probably fix it with a software upgrade. does anyone know if this has been rectified? (is anyone at grt riding this issue?) enquiring minds want to know.

john

SL30 Interface

Hi John,

I have seen the displays, but I don't think the data interface is there. I think the ILS in the pics may be off of the GNS430 with the Arinc429 interface, but not with analog data from an SL30. I hope I am wrong on this.

Pete

Hey Pete,

I think it will I cut the following from their site:

Transponders which require the traditional gray-code parallel altitude encoding.
Transponders which require serial data inputs.
Autopilots with GPS NMEA serial data inputs, such as Trutrak and Trio.

Autopilots with ARINC 429 GPS steering inputs. (ARINC 429 output is an option at additional cost.)

All localizer/glideslope receivers with 150mV outputs (this is practically applies to practically all nav radios)

The UPS SL30 Nav/Com receiver, complete interface with only 2 wires.

All GPS receivers with NMEA0183 output (practically all have this output)

Additional functions are available when used with the Garmin GNS430/530, GNS480, SL30, and SL40

I think it will recieve and display universal CDI outputs!

Thanks John!

That is what I was looking for. I appreciate the help. If the weather is good, a group is heading to EAU for some breakfast tomorrow about 9am.

Pete

gns480 vor data & grt

to clarify my earlier question about the gnx480 (cnx80) vor, i quote from the grt horizon I install manual (pdf download from their site):

VOR data from the GPS cannot be displayed on the EFIS. An OBS selection into the GPS cannot be provided by the EFIS. According to page 2-3 of the CNX-80 installation manual, full VOR functionality is available without an external CDI, although this seemed to conflict with the pilots manual. While you can perform the equivalent navigation function of flying on a selected radial to/from a VOR, the CNX80 uses GPS for this guidance. If you want to see actual VOR data, you will need a separate nav head. Rumor has it this may be corrected with the addition of VOR bearing data via a serial output in the future.

i sure would like for this to work.. my current (mental) revision of my panel includes a gns480 and a grt horizon I. [of course, it's only about rev 12 of the panel in my mind since i started building, and i haven't received my fuse yet.]

john

I have written to GRT about the GNS-480, there is now complete integration via the Arinc interface.

The 480 also will display its own CDI and annunciate the approach information source.

Pete,

Sorry, I will be in Iowa this weekend visiting the in-laws. Would love to see your project again sometime....hope it is cruising along for you.

Back