What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grove Brake Master Cylinders RV-8

chrispratt

Well Known Member
Are any of you familiar with overhauling the Grove Brake Master Cylinder Model 673-13 used on the RV-8? I have the overhaul kit and instructions from Grove.

The Grove equipment is very nicely made and quite a bit different in construction than some other master cylinders (think Matco). They have worked well for 16 years but the master cylinders seem to be having a hard time holding the -8 in place even for a runup. I see no visible hydraulic fluid leakage anywhere and have already replaced the O-rings in the brake pucks (twice) and bled the system three times. The O-rings in the cylinders seem the only other suspect.

I have two questions I could use some experienced help on:

1. Instruction 2.c says “using a pliers, unscrew the spring guide from the lower end of the piston rod. (See highlighted area of photo 1.) It would seem to me that using a pliers would severely score the metal which is something I do not want to do. Is there another way or a trick (like a special type of pliers) to keep the surface as pristine as it is now.

2. Once I’ve installed the O-Rings from the overhaul kit and start reassembly, Instruction 4.e says “Apply Lock-Tite 262 to the lower threads of the piston rod. Allow to dry for 24 hours before exposing to hydraulic fluid.” Is there a readily available alternative to Lock-Tite 262. I haven’t found any at Home Depot, or Lowe’s or auto stores like O’Reillys. I found some on Amazon but it won’t arrive until the end of November.

So the simple task (or so I thought) of overhauling the master cylinders is becoming a challenge and I’d appreciate any suggestions from someone who has actually done this and is willing to share.

Thanks.

Chris

I haven’t rebuilt Grove brakes, but how about using a drill chuck or if you have access to a milling machine, clamp that area in a collet and lock the machine in back gear to hold it.
As for Locktite 262, my Amazon has it for $9.99 and it can be here tomorrow..

Thanks Tom I'll try that.

My Amazon says expect delivery of the Lock-Tite anytime between November 15 and November 30. And they have a number of warehouses in my area (DFW) so I hope it's sooner.

Chris

Back