What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gretz Pitot Mount?

RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
Hi all,

I am getting ready to order a bunch of stuff for my wings, one of the items being the pitot mount/mast.

I was planning on ordering a GretzAero mount, but their order form confused me a tad... the order form asks you to specify which pitot tube you will be using with the mount, but I haven't made that decision yet (probably either Gretz or Dynon). My prior reseach has led me to beleive that this decision wasn't critical as the same model mount would work for either the Gretz, Dynon or 5812 pitots, however their order form seems to imply they are different (the mounts that is).

Anyone have any experience they can share?

I have emailed Gretz, but in the past they have been non-responsive to my inquiries (email and phone), so I am also asking the question here.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The mount is the same, the holes are supposedly drilled in different locations depending on the pitot.

PJ

I emailed Gretz too... repeatedly. No answer at all.

I found www.safeair1.com and bought theirs instead.

It is a magnificent piece of welding and the plumbing kit is great!

Check it out!

;) CJ

PJSeipel said:
The mount is the same, the holes are supposedly drilled in different locations depending on the pitot.
If the holes are in different locations, that qualifys as a different mount in my book.:)

Captain_John said:
I found www.safeair1.com and bought theirs instead.

It is a magnificent piece of welding and the plumbing kit is great!
The Safeair plumbing kit was already on my must-buy list, and depending on the results of my gretz inquiry, the Safeair pitot mast was my back-up.

Since I haven't chosen my pitot tube yet, it looks like I may be forced down the road of the Safeair mount, as I don't want to run into issues with the gretz mount if I change my mind on which pitot to use.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Brad,

Go the wings page of my web site and scroll down to the 9/25/04 entry and I talk about the Gretz mount.

Even with the problems and miss fit, I would recommend it over some of the others which I have also tried.

Good luck.

Brad,

I used the Gretz mount and a heated pitot from Jon Johansan. flymore.com.au
If the holes don't line up all you have to do is cut the mount off flush and drill new holes. It's plenty long enough. Not a big deal, works great.

Jack Holland
RV-7 102 hours :)

Gretz Pitot

I don't know about e-mail responses, I just called him and got great service. I bought the mount some time ago and when he came out with his pitot tube I ordered it. I've been working on the installation and it is going to look and hopefully work great. I looks robust enough, and should be perfect for a light aircraft like an RV.

I bought a Gretz pitot mast from Stein, but returned it as the aluminum parts supplied weren't very well made - the actual mast was OK (welded steel). Then I got one from Safeair1 - half the price and slightly simpler installation.

The Safeair1 mast doesn't have any holes drilled in the end, so drill it to your pitot tube.

Pete

Safeair1 pitot mast

I purchased the SA mast for my Dynon pitot tube with AoA. Great service and easy to install.

Also got a partial pitot static system from them. Do yourself a favor and get their Pitot/Static system. Let them know what instruments you will use that have a pitot/static connection and they'll customize it for you. Their connectors are the best I've ever seen and definitely the easiest to use.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

Thanks for everyone's advice...

I am going to call both SafeAir1 and Gretz tomorrow. My only slight concern with the SafeAir mount is that it says it is designed specifically for the Dynon pitot, and I want to be sure that it will work for other pitots (and has no holes) if I decide to go non-Dynon.

I also want to talk to Gretz about the hole patterns for the different pitots... again, don't want to paint myself into a corner.

I hadn't thought about cutting a portion off and drilling new holes, but I wonder how badly that would damage the chrome if I went with the chromed version. Anywhooo...

Decisions, decision... ain't building fun! :)

Thanks!

As was stated earlier, and now confirmed, I found this little note burried on the GretzAero web site...

"I do need to know at the time of order which pitot will be used so I can provide you with the correct mount, with the correctly drilled holes to mount the pitot. The mounting holes of the pitot tubes are different."

Thanks again!

Hi all,

I am getting ready to order a bunch of stuff for my wings, one of the items being the pitot mount/mast.

I was planning on ordering a GretzAero mount, but their order form confused me a tad... the order form asks you to specify which pitot tube you will be using with the mount, but I haven't made that decision yet (probably either Gretz or Dynon). My prior reseach has led me to beleive that this decision wasn't critical as the same model mount would work for either the Gretz, Dynon or 5812 pitots, however their order form seems to imply they are different (the mounts that is).

Anyone have any experience they can share?

I have emailed Gretz, but in the past they have been non-responsive to my inquiries (email and phone), so I am also asking the question here.

Thanks!

The Gretz mount works perfectly with the Dynon pitot tube.

Back