What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grand Rapids EIS-4000 retrofit

New Values

I just used some extrapolation and calculation (and perhaps obfuscation) to calculate new values so that a reading of 0.0 will be the end of usable fuel. The new values are:

AuxOFF = 839
AuxSF = 286

I noticed today when I fired the engine, Oil Temp was 59 degrees, and stayed that way. It only ran a couple of minutes, but always showed 59 degrees. Could it be this was because the oil was not warm enough to open the Vernatherm. OR maybe there is a problem.

Bill Newkirk

The 59 degrees is the bottom of the range if the temp is below 59, otherwise it should be reading ambient temperature, i.e., 72 if that's what it is. Same for EGT and CHT.

It will take a few minutes for the temp to increase but once it comes off 59, it continues going up.

Oil Temp Sensor finally installed

My engine is a IO-360 A1F6D. The D may stand for dumb, or dual magneto system. Anyway with the dual mag system it is hard to get at the oil temp sensor location. It is behind the oil pressure tap and partially hidden under the upper right motor mount.

This is not a great picture, but is a view looking aft and down onto the top of the accessory case. The oil pressure line is toward the top of the picture.

520396936_GX7GW-L.jpg

GRT requires a grounded sensor for oil temp, and I had tried to get at the stock unit before with a socket all ground away, and also with a 7/8 wrench ground down but could never get more than about 10 degrees of turn.

Saturday an A&P buddy of mine came oveer to helpwork on the baffling and I showed him the sensor. He dug around in his tool box, and came back with a 7/8" tappet wrench that had been ground down even farther so it was very narrow. 10 minutes later he had the old stock unit out. We heated water in a coke can and compared the original with the new grounded unit from GRT and they agreed within 3 degrees all the way to 180 degrees.

Another 10 minutes and the new unit was in, lock wired, oil pressure fitting back in and lock wired, and then we spent an hour improving the wiring around the back of the engine.

Now I can read Oil Temp on my EIS instead of using the legacy oil temp gage. Hurray!

The other good news I'll post in the engine section but we rebuilt the front baffle and oil temps dropped about 25 degrees! Gadzooks!

I'll get my friend Mike to take a picture of the wrench and post it later.

Back