What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS that are slow to or longer latch onto sats!

DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
If you have a Garmin 196, 296,396 or 496 and maybe others that is slow to latch onto sats or maybe no longer connects at all, you may be able to revive it by changing out the internal battery. This is the one soldered into the circuit board and allows it to retain the last latch in position. I previously owned a 396, changed out the internal battery and it performed like day one.

I have three extra batteries for that , they were to cheap to not order more than one. There's a post here (older) that describes the procedure to disassemble and reassemble your GPS to do that.

If you want these batteries let me know. You can give your 2 friends the other two .I no longer have the 396 but it was working well when it left.
Please send Doug an end of year donation for your battery!

Attachments

• 20231223_110720.jpg
    20231223_110720.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Yep! Had the same issue with two 496's and the internal battery fixed it.
The batteries are not readily available, so this is a good offer :)

Thanks for the info ! I owned a couple of 296 and sold them to some guys Alaska for their snowmobiles. They did take a little while to find the satellites, maybe a minute or so. I never thought it could be an internal battery, so maybe they needed a new battery, go figure.

Back