What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS on Turtledeck

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I read the kitplanes article on putting an antenna on a curved surface and using a flox mixture to make a base. I would like the GPS antenna outside on the skin of my fastback turtledeck. I know I could put it somewhere else please help me stick to what it would be like in the turtledeck.

The curvature of the fastback is pretty high and the edges of the antenna would be 1/4 inch or so off the skin on the sides. This seems pretty big but with the right fiberglass fitting it would mechanically be very strong. The construction is pretty easy I’d fab up a flat plate the shape of the antenna so I wouldn’t have to use the antenna to make the mount.

Has anyone actually done it? I’d be curious about your experience.

Uhh…yeah, I’ve done it several times…and written it up in Kitplanes! ;)

Works fine, very easy, and I’m at Reno so don’t have easy access to the archives to point you at the article, but you can search for it.

Thanks Paul, I have a copy of your excellent article. I suppose my question is if the curvature of the 8 fastback is just too much or if it doesn’t matter - just do it?

I wonder if having a fiberglass “gasket” would change doubler requirements? Is difficult to form a doubler to the curve.

I put my SkyFyx gps antenna behind the RV 8 backseater's head a few inches to the side of the canopy track. To address the curvature, I cut two half inch strips of cork gasket material which I ran the machine screws through. This elevated the gps edges enough so it was not high centered on the curvature.

Thanks Paul, I have a copy of your excellent article. I suppose my question is if the curvature of the 8 fastback is just too much or if it doesn’t matter - just do it?

I wonder if having a fiberglass “gasket” would change doubler requirements? Is difficult to form a doubler to the curve.

I personally don’t think the curvature will make much difference - the fiberglass will just be thicker on the edges. We did this on our RV-3, which has a much tighter curvature than the -8, and it has ben fine for 800 hours….

Last edited:
GPS ANTENNA

I have two GPS antennas, (antennae?). One is just behind the windshield mounted with Velcro. The second is mounted just behind the rear seat on the turtle deck, also using commercial grade velcro. They are both very solid and don’t move at all even though on the curved surface. If uneasy about the curvature, then mount it to one side.

I have used commercial grade velcro successfully for several applications including the magnetometer, initially to check that it was mounted in a good position, but left it alone because it was so successful. I don’t think one could pull enough ‘g’ to dislodge it.

Regards to all

Back