What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Got a question about painting your RV? Ask a paint-shop pro.

FulltronAviation

Custom RV painting by Fulltron
Advertiser
If you have a question about painting your RV? Ask our paint-shop pros. We might know everything about painting, but our paint crews definitely know a lot about painting RV's. Send me an email with your painting related question and we'll post your question AND answer here on the forums, under Painting. We'll try and answer as many questions as I have time for. Post your question as a reply to this thread and we'll post an answer back here, Dan

Last edited:
Hi Dan,

Have a question for you about paint brands....a few years ago I painted the Cowling with PPG Concept DT1087 (standard white used for fleets) but the local paint shop got bought out and said they can't that any longer. Have any recommendations for going with a similar product that will color match etc? Also, I have noticed on some planes (likely home painted) that around the rivets the paint and primer has peeled up and come off in a nice clean circle.....what's the best way to look out for avoiding that when prepping?

If you have a question about painting your RV? Ask our paint-shop pros. We might know everything about painting, but our paint crews definitely know a lot about painting RV's. Send me an email with your painting related question and we'll post your question AND answer here on the forums, under Painting. We'll try and answer as many questions as I have time for. Send your painting related question to me at: [email protected]
Hey Dan,

I hope this question doesn’t irritate you, but what do you think of the idea of me priming, doing a color base coat, and then applying professionally produced vinyl graphics on my RV-14A project? Looks like this would be substantially less expensive.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi Dan

Question. Conditions are 80-95F, No paint booth Joe in his garage, watered down floors and clean.

A. Base Clear Coat System
B. Single Stage Polyurethane
C. Single Stage Polyurethane with 1 clear coat

Considering someone that wants a decent outcome and willing to experiment with a few panels or test runs. What would you recommend? Why? What paint do you use and why? A good SS automotive hot rod paint just as good as paint brands (Jet Glo, PPG, etc)? Is SS more durable than a base clear system and which method is best for repairs?

Thank you, thought I'd take you up on your offer

Hi Dan,

Have a question for you about paint brands....a few years ago I painted the Cowling with PPG Concept DT1087 (standard white used for fleets) but the local paint shop got bought out and said they can't that any longer. Have any recommendations for going with a similar product that will color match etc? Also, I have noticed on some planes (likely home painted) that around the rivets the paint and primer has peeled up and come off in a nice clean circle.....what's the best way to look out for avoiding that when prepping?
personally i would stick with ppg concept. even though any major paint brand should be able to cross reference the paint number it will never match as well.the rivet peelilng is usually caused by poor prep.i cant stress enough how much you have to clean,clean,clean. we sand with 400 and then red scotchbrite . all of the residue gathers around the rivet.where does all the oil on the belly gather?we here probaby wipe down and wash the plane at least 5 times before it ever enters the paint booth and then two to three more times.

Hey Dan,

I hope this question doesn’t irritate you, but what do you think of the idea of me priming, doing a color base coat, and then applying professionally produced vinyl graphics on my RV-14A project? Looks like this would be substantially less expensive.
Thanks for your thoughts.
as long as its prepped right and quality paint products are used there is nothing wrong with it.whatever you do ,DO NOT put vinyl over bare aluminum.just be prepared for some sticker shock on the paint .there is a big price difference between high and low quality paint products

Hi Dan

Question. Conditions are 80-95F, No paint booth Joe in his garage, watered down floors and clean.

A. Base Clear Coat System
B. Single Stage Polyurethane
C. Single Stage Polyurethane with 1 clear coat

Considering someone that wants a decent outcome and willing to experiment with a few panels or test runs. What would you recommend? Why? What paint do you use and why? A good SS automotive hot rod paint just as good as paint brands (Jet Glo, PPG, etc)? Is SS more durable than a base clear system and which method is best for repairs?

Thank you, thought I'd take you up on your offer
we here only use Spies Hecker base clear coat system. there are many advantages to using a 2 stage system such as being able to buff metallics and pearls,getting rid of your stripe lines,better uv protection, and the ability to lay out designs without waiting for cure times.as far as durability, clear and single stage are both an activated urethane or polyurethane

If you have a question about painting your RV? Ask our paint-shop pros. We might know everything about painting, but our paint crews definitely know a lot about painting RV's. Send me an email with your painting related question and we'll post your question AND answer here on the forums, under Painting. We'll try and answer as many questions as I have time for. Send your painting related question to me at: [email protected]
Fulltron received this email today:

Paint and primer for RV14 fuselage interior

Hello Dan,
I am building an RV14 and have been using Akzo Nobel to prime the interior parts. I will be starting my fuselage soon and another builder told me that his interior paint was not adhering well in some places after painting over Akzo Nobel primer. I believe he used a PPG paint for his fuselage interior. I have been priming parts before assembling them and was wondering what primer and paint you would recommend for the interior of the fuselage. The paint will be going on some time later after the fuselage is completed. Also is there any special prep that will need to be done? I have been using scotchbrite with alumiprep for prep so far.
Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,
There is a lot more information that i would need.akzo nobel makes many different brands and kinds .they are a very reputable company and make quality products .primers will have a short window of time they can be topcoated to make a chemical bond without sanding usually 12 to 24 hrs. i would say if ppg isnt adhering its because of not sanding.as far as what to prime with i would recommend an epoxy based primer that is direct to metal.be aware not all of them are.

Back