What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gossip on Sensenich Props

gblwy

Well Known Member
Mail to Sensenich 9th March:

As you know Vans Aircraft evaluated the ground-adjustable prop for their new RV-12 LSA aircraft. They elected to go with the fixed pitch prop. Was this decision based on price, or on weight? If on price, what would be the advantage to go with the ground-adjustable prop. I'm based in the UK so not bound by LSA rules in the USA.

Response 9th March:

Van?s has evaluated both the fixed pitch wooden propeller and the ground adjustable composite propeller on the RV-12.

While they were intending to only offer the wood prop for the RV-12, I believe they have now selected the composite propeller as the standard propeller.

Initially they had a concern about the pitch range of the adjustable prop, thus allowing to the propeller to be set too high or too low and thus compromise climb performance. But we?ve addressed this with a special pitch stop ring which will only allow climb, standard, and cruise pitch on the RV-12.

I don?t know if they will have both the composite and wood prop on the standard equipment list.

For right now, I believe the composite adjustable prop is the standard.

My comment:

They have a good short video on their website showing how to adjust the composite prop - don't know if this is for the RV-12 prop, or the one for the Lycomings, or indeed if it is a variant of the same prop.

Cheers...Keith

Likely LSA choice

I feel they wanted to be sure the RV-12 would not exceed the max. speed limit of LSA. They caution the engine can over-speed in level flight, so I feel that is the answer. By using the fixed pitch offered, they solved the problem with certainty.

John Bender

I feel they wanted to be sure the RV-12 would not exceed the max. speed limit of LSA. They caution the engine can over-speed in level flight, so I feel that is the answer. By using the fixed pitch offered, they solved the problem with certainty.

John Bender
Remember that the 912S has a MCP rating at 5500 RPM and a 5-minute rating at 5800 RPM. If you adjust the prop too fine, you can exceed 5500 RPM, but I doubt you'd exceed 5800 in level flight.

Pitching for 5500 RPM WOT cruise gets the most out of the engine in climb when it's critical.

TODR

This one of those things that may get changed after the plane is certified. I really like the ground adjustable prop, it has many advantages.

I have a ground adjustable prop on my current E-LSA and I like being able to tweak the pitch for summer vs. winter flying.

People fly differently. One guy flies off short fields and does not care to get every MPH out of it. Another guy is on an airport with a 6K foot runway and flies long distance and does not care about angle of climb. One size does not fit all.

It is not all said and done yet, but when it is all said and done, I think (for ELSA) manufacturers will have to approve post certification changes when it deals with things like the prop.

Ground adjustable props

I have a ground adjustable prop on my current E-LSA and I like being able to tweak the pitch for summer vs. winter flying.

People fly differently. One guy flies off short fields and does not care to get every MPH out of it. Another guy is on an airport with a 6K foot runway and flies long distance and does not care about angle of climb. One size does not fit all.

It is not all said and done yet, but when it is all said and done, I think (for ELSA) manufacturers will have to approve post certification changes when it deals with things like the prop.

HERE HERE! Well Said.
Meade:)

Back