What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

goof while dimpleing

CaptPausert

Had a goof today while dimpling my horizontal stabilizer skin with the pneumatic squeezer.
52590368925_e36b77d010_n.jpg

This is what happens when the guide slips out of the hole it punches a new one.:mad:

Any suggestions on what I need to do or should I call Vans.

Don't see a picture, but this has happened a million times. There are a couple of common fixes depending on how far it is from the "real" hole

Flatten it out, drill/dimple a new hole 1/2 distance to next hole on either side, epoxy/micro fill before paint.

Yeah I am enough of a perfectionist that it is really irritating but not enough of one to be ordering a new wing skin unless I really have to.

smoosh it flat, dimple in the right spot. stick a rivet in the original hole, but understand that its strength is now compromised due to an unplanned hole way too close to it.

Add a new rivet of the same type on either side of the whole mess, assuming that proper spacing can be maintained. Fill in the accident hole, now with JB weld or later during paint prep.

Edit- this isn't just internet advice, it's what Van's typically advises when this specific oopsie comes up (like I said, it happens a lot), but you should likely call them to confirm that it's still appropriate in this particular case

Last edited:
Back