What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Go-Pro, other camera on RV-12? Inside, outside?

mvanwyk

One slight disadvantage to low wing is that the wings can interfere with photography.
Can anyone share experience in an RV-12 with a camera such as Go-Pro? Did you mount it inside? Outside? Did you get one of those 360-degree view types?
Any recommendations?

I'm actually hoping to run the 360 for this first time on the RV on an NFLight wing tie down mount this evening. As mentioned, not ideal location on a low wing but it's a start.

Eventually I plan to make a mounting system that will take advantage of the pre-punched hole on the top of the wing just above the tie down. I need to machine a hollow thread adapter that will go in the bottom but allow a spud mount from above with a #8 or #10 screw. Should make for a low profile and easily removable mount setup on the 12.

https://www.nflightcam.com

Nice. I would be looking for something that gives an unobstructed view -- forward, left, right, and/or behind.
I'm mostly interested in still frames.
My understanding is that with 360 cameras, a user can pick a frame at any point of the 360 view.

That's correct regarding the 360 cam. No need to frame, just mount the camera and choose your framing later in any direction. You do need a good location for the camera and no matter what the airplane will be in the way in some direction.

The NFLight spud is a nice little mount setup that works anywhere you have a #8 or #10 screw. Make your own decision as to structural appropriateness in certain locations, but a nutplate is easy to put just about anywhere you want. If what you mean by 'unobstructed' is that effect like it's a close chase, you'll need to go a little further and install a stick style mount. One example in the video below, but IMO there are simpler or more elegant ways to go about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKKkPPcr9T4&t=318s

That's correct regarding the 360 cam. No need to frame, just mount the camera and choose your framing later in any direction. You do need a good location for the camera and no matter what the airplane will be in the way in some direction.

The NFLight spud is a nice little mount setup that works anywhere you have a #8 or #10 screw. Make your own decision as to structural appropriateness in certain locations, but a nutplate is easy to put just about anywhere you want. If what you mean by 'unobstructed' is that effect like it's a close chase, you'll need to go a little further and install a stick style mount. One example in the video below, but IMO there are simpler or more elegant ways to go about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKKkPPcr9T4&t=318s
Thanks. I'd be looking to mount somewhere underneath the plane -- fuselage or wing. I realize that the plane structure will be visible in some angles -- landing gear, wings, etc.. In some cases, the plane structure could be cropped out of the picture. I am hoping to find somewhere to mount where I can get maximum 360 view; and where I can select good quality left / right / forward / backward stills.
If anyone has had success, I'd like to hear about it. What kind of camera? Where did you mount? Etc.

camera attachments

Hi,
I have a Sony HDR_AS200V and put several 'attachpoints' to the plane: left wing, right wing, tail underside, tail (with a gadget, to hold it high) and in the cockpit (in stead of the cockpit light).
See for yourself
https://phmon-rv12.blogspot.com/2023/07/bewegende-beelden.html

Works very well. Now I have several pieces of film that I put together when flying a passenger. I even bought a second camera to be able to make two visions at a flight without having to crawl out of the ship.

Hi,
I have a Sony HDR_AS200V and put several 'attachpoints' to the plane: left wing, right wing, tail underside, tail (with a gadget, to hold it high) and in the cockpit (in stead of the cockpit light).
See for yourself
https://phmon-rv12.blogspot.com/2023/07/bewegende-beelden.html

Works very well. Now I have several pieces of film that I put together when flying a passenger. I even bought a second camera to be able to make two visions at a flight without having to crawl out of the ship.

Can you show us more about your tail mount?

I use a GoPro inside the cabin and a insta360 on a selfie stick off of the end of the wing. Clamped to the hand hold. The two off the wing are from the Insta360 3x and the one in the cabin is from the GoPro 9 that picks up audio.

I am finishing up on a selfie stick for the rear tie down - videos coming soon

my youtube channel is @rv12pilot for using different cameras and mounting locations.

Attachments

• Snapshot_202305147_040500.jpg
    Snapshot_202305147_040500.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Snapshot_202309245_060900.jpg
    Snapshot_202309245_060900.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1750.jpg
    IMG_1750.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I have a gopro 360 for outside and a gopro 9 for inside. If you want to hear radio can intercom calls you need a wired connection adapter that is easy to hook up but if I remember about $100. It is worth it to be able to hear comments and radio calls especially for a reasonably new pilot like me.

I mounted the 360 under my wing and it works well for me. I can see the gear and pan around as I want. There is distortion because of the lens but you can get some pretty cool videos. The frame grabs for photos are much better than any other camera I have owned.

I understand the insta360 is a good camera too but I have not used one. Let me know if you need any info on how I made my mounts. Have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKQbVaU6MRo

editing software ?

I have a GoPro, but rarely use it because I'm not comfortable/happy with the software for editing the resulting 360 files. I use Apple computers. What editing packages are available for MacOS that aren't rented for $30/mo ?

I use a GoPro inside the cabin and a insta360 on a selfie stick off of the end of the wing. Clamped to the hand hold. The two off the wing are from the Insta360 3x and the one in the cabin is from the GoPro 9 that picks up audio.

I am finishing up on a selfie stick for the rear tie down - videos coming soon

my youtube channel is @rv12pilot for using different cameras and mounting locations.
I have a gopro 360 for outside and a gopro 9 for inside. If you want to hear radio can intercom calls you need a wired connection adapter that is easy to hook up but if I remember about $100. It is worth it to be able to hear comments and radio calls especially for a reasonably new pilot like me.

I mounted the 360 under my wing and it works well for me. I can see the gear and pan around as I want. There is distortion because of the lens but you can get some pretty cool videos. The frame grabs for photos are much better than any other camera I have owned.

I understand the insta360 is a good camera too but I have not used one. Let me know if you need any info on how I made my mounts. Have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKQbVaU6MRo
Photos of your mounts, inside and out, would be appreciated.

...There is distortion because of the lens but you can get some pretty cool videos. The frame grabs for photos are much better than any other camera I have owned....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKQbVaU6MRo
So I assume the distortion is "fish eye" with bulging in the middle and tapering narrow on the sides. I would like to avoid that.
Has anybody tried the "hold the phone in the right hand and dip the left wing and shoot out of the left side of the canopy, and then dip the right wing, and shoot out of the right side of the canopy" method?
Does the canopy itself cause much distortion?

Last edited:
Has anybody tried the "hold the phone in the right hand and dip the left wing and shoot out of the left side of the canopy, and then dip the right wing, and shoot out of the right side of the canopy" method?

Have you flown in a 12?

Why not just try it?

Have you flown in a 12?
Why not just try it?
Nope. My factory-build RV-12is is scheduled for sometime in '24. Never flown one. The nearest thing would be a Tomahawk about 15 years ago.
I did own a C-150 for 17 years, and I did use that method, and I would assume it could be done in an RV-12. What about canopy distortion?
I appreciate all of the feedback I have gotten thus far about camera types, camera mounts, etc.

I made a pair of "RV tiedown to GoPro" adapters for my -7A. If the -12's tiedown threads are the same, this might work. Bill of materials:

CAMVATE 1/4"-20 Male to 3/8"-16 Female Thread Screw Adapter

Mount Adapter Tripod Mount for Gopro Hero

Stainless steel 3/8"-16 bolts, 1-1/4"

3/8" nylon washer (optional)

I torqued the bolt onto the female end of the adapter and made it permanent with some red loctite. Cut off the bolt head and filed it down nice with a scotchbrite wheel. Thread the other end of the adapter onto the GoPro tripod mount. Nylon washer to protect the underside of the wing skin.

These doodads can thread into either of the three tiedown mounts on my plane, one on each wing, and one on the bottom of the tail.

Attachments

• IMG_5753.jpg
    IMG_5753.jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 34
One slight disadvantage to low wing is that the wings can interfere with photography.
Can anyone share experience in an RV-12 with a camera such as Go-Pro? Did you mount it inside? Outside? Did you get one of those 360-degree view types?
Any recommendations?

I've had good luck with the Insta 360n X3. Still learning a lot, but the possibilities are endless. Here's the second video I did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCwxBEYJCao

Eyebolt Mount

I use the tie down eyelets with the MyPilotPro swivel mount.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019VNRTY6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you can place it on either wing or the tail tie down. Doesn't have much upward visibility, but unless you're trying to do formation video, usually down is what I want anyway. I also just placed one of the adhesive go pro mounts on the canopy just in front of the latch. I don't have the sun shade installed so it's a clear view from behind the pilot/passenger if you use wide angle, but far enough forward to cut that out if you just want the cowling and the view.

Back