What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNS 480 nav db update

dromuald

Could someone please point me to instructions on how to load a Nav DB update in my GNS480. I have purchased the Jepp update. I assume I use their software to transfer it to my PC and then to the GNS data card? I don't see any discussion of how to update the unit in the pilot's manual. All I see is that the unit needs to be off when removing or inserting the card. TIA for any information.

Your best bet is to ask this or search on the GNS-480 Groups.io page for the GNS 480 users. https://gns480-users.groups.io/g/main/topics

The 480 data card is NOT a standard Jepp/Garmin card. Instead it is an old school Compact Flash (CF) card, so you may need to but an inexpensive CF card reader that plugs into a USB port. I get my card updated once a year at the Jepp desk at Airventure, so I don't have a lot of experience with the data transfer.

Could someone please point me to instructions on how to load a Nav DB update in my GNS480. I have purchased the Jepp update. I assume I use their software to transfer it to my PC and then to the GNS data card? I don't see any discussion of how to update the unit in the pilot's manual. All I see is that the unit needs to be off when removing or inserting the card. TIA for any information.
Search for "Compact Flash Reader" on Amazon and buy one with good reviews. Expect to pay $15 or less.

With the GPS off, eject the memory card by pushing on the little button next to it. Put the card in the reader and plug the reader into a USB port on your computer. Run the Jeppesen Distribution Manager application, and it will automatically detect you have an update available and will ask if you want to update your card. As a sanity check, verify that the Jepp Distribution Manager is pointing to the correct drive.

When you click the 'Update' button on the Jepp Distribution Manager, do NOT pull out the compact flash card or disconnect the reader from the USB port until you get the message saying it is finished.

Now simply take the card back to the GPS and plug it back in. When you start it up, it will show the new database start and end date during the startup routine.

Search for "Compact Flash Reader" on Amazon and buy one with good reviews. Expect to pay $15 or less.

With the GPS off, eject the memory card by pushing on the little button next to it. Put the card in the reader and plug the reader into a USB port on your computer. Run the Jeppesen Distribution Manager application, and it will automatically detect you have an update available and will ask if you want to update your card. As a sanity check, verify that the Jepp Distribution Manager is pointing to the correct drive.

When you click the 'Update' button on the Jepp Distribution Manager, do NOT pull out the compact flash card or disconnect the reader from the USB port until you get the message saying it is finished.

Now simply take the card back to the GPS and plug it back in. When you start it up, it will show the new database start and end date during the startup routine.
Thank you Luis

Back