What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMA 245 Help

bud3JA

I recently bought RV10 with GMA 245 intercom. Subsequently discovered that the rear seats do not hear ATC communications. I have researched extensively with Garmin Tech, Garmin service center, and many other experienced Garmin users. No solutions yet. Does anyone have a GMA 245 installed in a RV10? Can you confirm that rear seats can hear ATC communications?

I have a 245 in my RV-8. Do you have the install manual? Have you checked to make sure Pilot Isolation is deselected on the LRU?

Based on what I see the copilot and passenger come off the same source for some of it but they are in fact separate Pinouts for copilot and passengers 1-4 (up to 6 place comm panel). Are you able to hear ATC on the copilot side? If you play music can pilot/copilot and passengers hear it? The copilot music knob controls the passenger music volume. Some ideas to isolate the problem. Dip switches on the side of the LRU also have some settings. Are you connected via CANBUS to a G3x or is it a solo mount like mine?

Yes, all positions can hear music. Copilot side hears ATC comm. Pilot and Crew ISO buttons work as expected, ie isolates all communication. I have read all manuals, played with Dip switches, talked to Garmin reps. What I really need to know is if anyone with a four place aircraft with the GA245 has my problem. I also want to find someone with a GMA245 willing to let me swap out for a test. I did swap for a GMA340 and was able to hear ATC in rear headsets. Some Garmin experts tell me they "think" the GMA245 does not support ATC comm in the pax headsets. Seems strange to me.

Is this audio panel tied into a G3X? If so, there is a huge audio setup page in the G3X that will override (I think) the settings on the 245. Go thru all settings carefully, make sure "passenger volume" is not set to zero for "radios".

No G3x. I have 2 Dynon Skyview Classic. I assume it is not an outside the GMA setting like your suggesting because when I slid in a GMA 340, the rear seat headsets could hear the radio. I feel it must be an internal setting in the GMA245 or a defective GMA245.

You can access the full setup menu with special button pushes (no G3X), details are in the install manual.

Yes, all positions can hear music. Copilot side hears ATC comm. Pilot and Crew ISO buttons work as expected, ie isolates all communication. I have read all manuals, played with Dip switches, talked to Garmin reps. What I really need to know is if anyone with a four place aircraft with the GA245 has my problem. I also want to find someone with a GMA245 willing to let me swap out for a test. I did swap for a GMA340 and was able to hear ATC in rear headsets. Some Garmin experts tell me they "think" the GMA245 does not support ATC comm in the pax headsets. Seems strange to me.

I have an RV-10 with a GMA245 and my rear seat passengers can hear ATC.

Did you try updating to the latest firmware? Sometimes these bugs get fixed by updates.
Sorry, replied too soon. I assumed updates correct because I sent ALL the system data to Garmin Tech dept. They didn't mention I was not updated. I owe Majorpayne a lunch as it seems to work correctly now, at least on the ground in the hanger.

Thank you so much.

Back