What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gloves?

fehdxl

Well Known Member
Okay, this is probably a silly question, but do you guys & gals wear any type of gloves while working with the aluminum? Cotton? Nitrile? Vinyl? Rubber? Latex? Mechanics (http://www.mechanix.4ursafety.com/)? Etc?

I understand that while using chemicals (cleaner, primer, paint, etc) it's very important, but what about just general building (deburing, riveting, drilling, etc)?

Thank you for your time.

-Jim
o=\o

Keywords: construction technique, glove, gloves, safety,

gloves

I don't think aluminum contact with skin or hands is anything to worry too much about. However, I did use gloves sometimes when grinding, for protection from heat build up. It's hard to hold small parts when using the grinder. Also, don't forget breathing protection when grinding. I probably have about 1/4 lb. of aluminum dust in my lungs from getting in a hurry and not covering my airways. Also, few people follow the suggestion of using eye protection when drilling aluminum or any material for that matter. Even plexiglass. Ask me why you should use eye protection or better yet, ask the doctor at the drive-in clinic down the street from me. Jack RV9A N489JE

Jim:

I used latex gloves, and lots of them, while using proseal in the tank construction. Being a dentist, I knew where I could get my hands on a few. (Sorry about the pun)

I would suggest that when you do your tanks, ask to buy a couple boxes of latex gloves from your dentist. Should be able to sell them to you for around $5-$6 per box of 100. When they get gunked up with proseal just peal them off and put on a new pair.

Regards,

Don't get crazy......

I have heard of guys only handling alclad with gloves in fear that they'll mar the surface with skin oils. I have also heard of guys coating their cotton gloves with cornstarch as a lubricant on the skin. Wow.

IMHO, I wouldn't waste your time handling the alum like a newborn baby, because when you get to the painting stage, you'll be scuffing the daylights out of the alum with a Scotchbrite pad and chemical etch. Bye bye shiney surface. Obviously, avoid big gouges and deep scratches, but keeping body oils off? Nah- Get dirty, have a ball. You can buy boxes of latex gloves at Depot or Lowe's cheaply for keeping off ProSeal and keeping your hands off cleaned surfaces prior to paint or prosealing. I also invested in some mechanic's gloves, cause I always manage to cut myself while cutting, filing and deburring aluminum. And wear safety glasses, them alum filings get everywhere! :p

Gloves and Goggles

I wear mechanix and mechanix clone gloves almost all the time
I'm in my shop. I wear them for two reasons - my shop is very
cold, and I don't like the sight of my own blood. If you get in
the habit of wearing them you can do most things with them
on, even picking up rivets and nutplates.

When using chemicals, I just wear the cheapo latex gloves
that you can buy from home depot or lowes or your local
dentist. :)

I also wear some safety glasses all the time I am in my
shop. These are also something you can easily get
used to, and it saves a lot of hassle trying to find the
goggles if you are going to do something with a risk
to your eyes. I got one speck of metal in my eye once
while driving go karts, and that taught me. Metal in
the eye hurts!

gloves? gloves?

If you get a finger torn to shreds or smashed so badly it requires amputation, you can always use a toe to replace it. Really!! But, the same cannot be said for the eyes. And, lung transplants are hard to come by, very expensive, and just a little inconvenient for most aviators.

I always always always wear safety glasses when drilling, grinding, etc. and dust mask or respirator if doing something that generates a fair amount of dust(especially that evil fiberglass).

I wear a lightweight pair of leather gloves when working with metal that is still sharp. Once it is deburred and scotch-brited, I just go barehanded. Lots of latex or vinyl gloves when glueing or cleaning, and cotton when painting.

ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!

Roberta

gloves

I wear mechanics , or clones , while grinding just because of the sharp edges, and cold die grinder. Harbour Freight sells them pretty cheap, and they are the same as the Sears ones.

thanks!

Thank you for all the info! Now that it's posted, it's only a 'search' away.
-Jim
o=\o

Gloves

I've worn both latex and nitrile gloves for doing chemical things like mixing or applying proseal or epoxy or other adhesives. I bought mine at Harbor Freight but wouldn't say they are any cheaper or better than what Lowe's or Home Depot sells. The nitrile gloves are more prone to ripping and tearing than latex. One thing I can say is it really gives you an appreciation for medical professionals who have to work in gloves for hours at a time. My hands sweat profusely in latex gloves.
Don

It's a really bad idea to wear gloves while working around band saws and (especially) drill presses (which is why the caution statement usually says don't do it).

I wear gloves when I'm painting but am alergic to latex so I pay the price. When i did the tanks I used vinyl gloves until I needed MEK, then shifted to latek. I went through 2 boxes of each when I did the tank because I changed them ALL THE TIME.

The rest of the time, bear hands. I like the looks of aluminum dust fingerprints all over the white surfaces in the garage. (g)

BC

Bob,
Since you are alergic to latex, if you find that vinyl gloves cannot handle some solvents, then, you might want to try nitrile. I have found some solvents that will disolve latex right away, but not touch the nitrile, and vice versa.

I usually get my rubber gloves at Harbor Freight, but I found all three types (latex, vinyl, and nitrile) last weekend at Walmart. Prices were comparable to HF.

Tracy.

Back