What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting ready to go camping

kentb

Well Known Member
I would like to know of brand preference for actual camping out of you plane.
I am planning to camp with my plane at OSH, but need to buy some light weight gear to go in the baggage compartment.
I have a sleeping roll (just a blanked with a zipper), but will need to be buying at least the following:
Tent / ground cloth.
air mattress (56 YO and counting). :eek:
ice chest/cooler
small stove
light weight utensils
????

Any suggestions? Favorites?

Kent

Sounds like fun! Im hoping to get out to OSH this year though it will not be by plane :(

I do a lot of backpacking... or at least I did. I swear by Sierra Designs tents. They are ultra light and can be used in most conditions. I also would recommend a therm-a-rest matress pad. These can be had in all kinds of sizes and thicknesses, again quite light. Beyond that sleeping bags can be quite subjective. I have a Norht Face but I got it because it was light. The model is called a super light. I think it weighs a couple pounds and is rated to 0 degrees, which is not really necessary even in the Northwest! :)

MSR camp stoves are also reliable light units which take up very little space. The fuel takes up more space than the burner. Utensils I use are just plastic throw aways. Theyre light, cheap and you can take a few sets as back ups.

Anyway... my ramblings and preferences for sure. Good luck, it can be as fun as buying tools to build our planes!

Cheers,
Josh

http://www.tarptent.com/products.html

This link is to a line of tents that are extremely light weight... the backpacking stuff is a big bonus for airplane camping due to weight considerations.

If you go to camp at Oshkosh, no matter how nice it looks, find a spot for your tent with a ground elevation at least 1" higher than anyone else has picked. A foot would be better!

Great thread.
I, too, am interested in what others feel are the MUST have items for light duty camping....like at SunNFun where I am planning to fly with my 11yo son next month.

For lightweight chairs and a cooler bag, I recommend the 2.5lb Roll-A-Chair along with a soft sided cooler in a color to match your plane. Both fit very nicely in the back of an RV! :) Rosie

Roll_a_chair_and_cooler_bag.jpg

Paul, which size is that cooler?

How long have you been able to camp from the food/ice that you put in it?

Kent

From Rosie: I use the 9-pack cooler, and it's only good for the day's flying trip and then overnight. For more than that, you'd need a bigger one and/or access to ice. At OSH, I do what Walter suggests in buying a stryofoam cooler at Walmart then stock it with water and your other favorite beverages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry about coolers and big items. Plan to buy them at Target or K-mart
next to the field. They sell them for dirt cheap and I just give them away at
the end of the show. I've even done this with nice comfortable chairs. Buy
it and give it away. The prices are drastically discounted and they always have
plenty on hand even if you come late to the show. Same goes for supplies;
food, water, ice, booze and anything else you forgot to bring.

Even though the RV is a low wing, I would highly recommend a tent that can
go under the wing/fuselage. When it rains *and it will* you will be much much
much happier. And like has been said before here, stick to higher ground if
you can!

I air camp every year at SnF and Osh, and will offer a few suggestions:

1) REI.com is a good resource for good information on campgear. Also, they carry mid to high quality stuff, so you won't be buying junk if you purchase from them.

2) Buy a quality tent. Not from the camping department at Wal-mart. You want a rain fly that goes all the way to the ground. That keeps the water out during t-storms. Also, you want a tent with aluminum poles. They don't flex as much in storms (nothing like having the tent flex so far it is about 2' tall during a windstorm) and don't tend to shatter like the fiberglass poles in inexpensive tents. Another nice feature is doors on both sides. Far more convenient if someone needs to get up in the middle of the night. Also allows cross ventilation if there are no mosquitos around.

As someone else posted, Sierra Designs makes nice tents. .

At Oshkosh 2 years ago, the sky opened on Monday evening. I promise you that Kelly (my wife) and I were the only people within 50 yards of our campsite who were not pouring water out of their tent and wringing out sleeping bags, etc. the next morning. I bet a lot of people junked their cheapie tents before the next time they went air camping.

3) I like self inflating therm-a-rest mattresses too. They are more comfortable to me than plain 'ol air mattresses. A suggestion - try several inflation levels to find your comfort zone. Too little air or too much can be uncomfortable.

4) Forget buying a sleeping bag for air camping.. They are not comfortable and are hard to regulate temperature wise. Instead, take several sheets and a couple of fleece blankets. Put one sheet on top of the air mattress and layer the rest of the stuff to provide the warmth you need. Very comfortable!

4) Get a couple of aluminum frame camp chairs. Coleman makes some that are extremely light. You can find 'em at Wal-mart.

5) I like the flexible coolers. They don't keep stuff as cool as a hard side cooler, but pack into the back of an airplane very well and don't weigh much.

6) Take throw away towels, sheets, underwear,etc. It makes go-home day much easier if you don't have to worry about packing wet, dirty, and/or spoiled stuff. Also, you'll have 5 more pounds of cargo room for all the stuff you buy.

7) Air camping is a whole lot of fun, but make sure your airplane is really tied down well. Your neighbor's too. In the middle of a 3 AM thunderstorm, you don't want to be wondering whether the airplanes parked a few feed away are going to stay put or not.

8) Carry earplugs. You may want to sleep while other campers drink a six pack and loudly discuss their favorite subject.

Love that A/C camping!

Howdy Kent!

One that that is important is a tent's ability to withstand high winds and driving rain. I say this because last OSH I was standing up in my tent trying to keep it from collapsing in the high winds and driving rains :) .

Ross, one plane over, bought a new 'heavy duty' tent when he got back from OSH - he spent the night soaking up water with a towel.

Best always,
Doug

Having gone from Texas to Canada in all kinds of weather, on a motorcycle with a passenger. You learn to pack small and light as you do not have much room. This has given me experience with equipment that works well in my airplane. My first motorcycle camping trip I purchased a cheap tent, the kind with the plastic tarp for a floor. This was a big mistake; by all means get a good quality tent. For the next trip I purchased a Eureka Back Country 2; it has served me very well.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/eureka!/backcountry-outfitter-2/

It Packs small, and is easy to set up in the dark by yourself. It is known as a clip tent. It has clips that clip to the poles very easy. There where many nights in the mountains where we would be camped out in some rather large thunderstorms. With two persons on cold nights, you would get a little condensation, other than that we never got wet inside the tent. I have since purchased an REI tent.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...08000&productId=47975650&parent_category_rn=0

It is a little larger, and a little harder to set up than the Eureka. Both have the ?bath tub? design with 7000 series aluminum frames. I have used both the air mattress, and the sleeping pads. The air mattress is comfortable, but they are heavy and do not insulate very well. As the night gets colder, the air inside the mattress gets colder and condenses. You will wake up in the middle of the night when your hip starts hitting the hard ground. The sleeping pad has better insulation and will not shrink so much during the cold night.

http://www.rei.com/rei/learn/noDeta...amp/slpadf.jsp&vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC#ORIG

I second the sleeping pad suggestion, such as a Thermarest or REI equivalent. But, they also sell an gadget that lets you fold your sleeping pad into a chair...this thing rocks. It is real light and small, the sleeping pad makes an extremely comfortable chair, and it reclines, too.

After having these two items, I'll never again lug an air mattress or chair on a camping trip again, be it car, plane or backpack camping.

Seal the seams...

Most tents will leak at the seams during a heavy rain unless the seams are sealed.

For silicon-coated nylon fabric, you can make a sealer from GE Silicone Seal II (or equivalent), diluted with mineral spirits until it is "paintable". Brush over the outside of the seams with a small foam brush and let it cure. Sprinkle some talcum powder over the sealer after it cures to take off the tackiness.

A few stripes of the sealer across the tent floor will keep your Thermarest from sliding around so much.

...Joe (dry in a TarpTent at OSH last year)

Bivisack

Maybe not for Oshkosh, if you want a reasonable size tent in which sit out a thunderstorm, but for drier climates (Like OZ or Arizona) a gortex bivisack is very light, goes under the wing (So you can admire your riveting) and doesn't need to be pitched.

Also, the weight saved means you can take an electirc beer frig and have coldies on landing.

Pete.
bivisackel9.jpg

carfrigul2.jpg

Kyle Boatright said:
3) I like self inflating therm-a-rest mattresses too. They are more comfortable to me than plain 'ol air mattresses. A suggestion - try several inflation levels to find your comfort zone. Too little air or too much can be uncomfortable.

8) Carry earplugs. You may want to sleep while other campers drink a six pack and loudly discuss their favorite subject.
Like some of the others, I do a LOT of backpacking and have a few tips that differ from other campers. Kind of like the tip-up vs. slider/TW vs. NW stuff.

The therm-a-rest mattresses Kyle spoke of are VERY nice BUT the can and do pop. Two days into a six day hike across the high desert in UT I managed to puncture mine. It didn't make for such a nice trip. However, for your type of camping that may not be an issue. If you get one, get the thick one. Why not, it is not like you are hauling it on your back. The only down side is they can weigh in at over six lbs. I have become a big fan of the Z Rest. Not only will it no pop, you can use it while working on your plane, sit on it next to a fire, etc. Also, they come in at 15 oz.

As a source for camping equipment, try Campmor, good prices and selection.

The stove issue is BIG deal for me. I have been on trips where out of six stoves mine was the only one working at the end of the trip. YMMV. I am a big fan of white gas and have been using an older version of the Coleman Exponent? Multi Fuel Stove for over eight years now. No failures, no problems, etc. This has the advantage over some of the others in that there is no external tank or hoses to lose, get dirty, clog, etc. Also, it has a wind ring around the burner and just simply works all the time, every time. I have used it above 14,000 feet and in temp's from 114+ down to 5 degrees, again, with no issues. A full tank will last two of us four to five days, depending on the food we need to cook. Some of the hikers I go with give me a hard time about my "old school" stove but when it is the only one left working, it is I who gives them a hard time.

Someone mentioned packing a fleece blanket, good advice. Campmor has fleece sleeping bag liners, which would be very nice. BTW, don't bring any natural fibers blankets, once they get wet, they loose all insulating value.

I used to work for the company that made the fiber insulation for The North Face and used to field test their products. I can't say enough about their bags. So much so I have five of their sleeping bags, not counting the handful my wife has. Great products!

Some of my backpacking gear will work great in the plane, some not so much. It really comes down to what your intent is. If you are going to camp at a fly-in, the gear I would bring will be much different than what I might use for a back country trip.

BTW, try some of the dehydrated food. Some of it is actually very good. Just follow the directions on the bag. I give you this tip in case you are putting together an emergency kit. Add to that a Nalgene 16oz. Lexan Wide Mouth Loop-Top Bottle and some type of water filter (either a Katadyn or Sweetwater and you won't go thirsty.)

I hope that helps.

As for the ear plugs, bring your own beer or do as us hikers do, bring something brown in a small Nalgene bottle, consider it a weight savings.

Flying and Camping, two of my favorite things.

First you need to decide on your mission, your desired comfort level and finally is this dedicated gear or used for other adventures.

DO NOT compromise on your comfort level. A poor nights sleep aint worth any weight or cost savings.

We use a Kelty 3 person 4 season tent. This size tent fits 2 people and all our stuff. I bought it for hunting in Alaska. It will withstand heavy winds and rain. It has a footprint big enough for a queen size air mattress. And yet it only weighs 6.5lbs. Big enough to play cards or hang out when its raining all day.

We use a Coleman queen air mattress. 5" of adjustable comfort is nice on old bones. use a d-cell inflator. These mattresses last several years, when it won't hold pressure, go to wallyworld and spend another $20. I have and use Thermarest pads...for backpacking.

NorthFace bags are nice. SlumberJack also has great bags for 1/2 the price. Sometimes we'll only bring 1 down backpacker bag and use it like a quilt over us and a Fleece blanket underneath.

Get a collapsible cooler, skip bringing ice(unless you brought your margarita blender). Freeze your water bottles, polish dogs, etc. We are usually able to purchase most anything we need close by. Even backcountry strips are < 1/2 hr from fresh food.

Stove, we use a MSR. mostly for coffee, or hot water. Dried foods are much better now than 15yrs ago, but then again fresh food is only 1/2 hr away. Fly to Smiley Creek for breakfast or take the van from Johnson Creek to Yellowpine for Steak. ;)

YMMV

I just upgraded my tent to a larger one and was going to post my "OshKosh tested" Sierra CD tent for sale. While everybody else was bailing water out of their tent the last 2 years the wife and I weathered the storms with no problems! Here's a link to it:
http://www.sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=14
Around a "C" note should cover it if you're interested.
Walt

I'll echo what the other folks are saying:

1.) Get a good tent. Did I mention that you should have a good tent? The tent is no place to skimp on quality. Get a good tent. :D I have a Marmot 3 person and stayed dry in the rain last year. When the weather is bright and sunny, you want lots of ventilation. A rainfly with sizeable vestibules will keep your shoes dry. http://www.rei.com/product/731626

2.) I've had great luck with the Therm-A-Rest sleeping pads. Very comfortable and roll up nice and compact.

3.) Get a compression stuff sack for your pillow and clothes. They're cheap and waterproof. http://www.rei.com/product/730880

4.) The clear plastic orange juice bottles make wonderful transports for margaritas. http://www.simplyorangejuice.com/products_original.shtml

5.) Get good tie-downs. I saw a "claw" tie-down fail last year. Bummer. The Fly-Ties seem to be a better system, according to Aircraft Consumer. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/flyties.php

6.) Bring a bottle of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint pure castille soap. Use it for shampoo, soap, washing dishes and brushing your teeth. http://www.drbronner.com/drb_sai_liquids.html

7.) As previously mentioned, the Coleman flexible fuel stove is hard to beat.

8.) Buy or make one of Doug Ritter's aviation survival kits. If you go down over hostile terrain it might mean the difference between life and death. They're small and don't weigh much. http://www.equippedtosurvive.com/avsrvkit.htm#two

9.) Soft sided coolers rock but don't keep ice cold long. Buy your beer cold. No problem at OSH because the gas stations carry plenty of ice and there's a cart that drives around every day with ice for sale.

9.) The Brunton LED lantern is pretty good...perfect for playing cards. http://www.rei.com/product/751044

10.) If you feel like splurging, it's hard to beat good optics for watching the air show from the camping areas. The Zeiss 8x20s are superb and fit nicely in a shirt pocket. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=zeiss+binoculars&noImage=0

11.) Don't forget the espresso maker: http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...00&productId=27830&parent_category_rn=4500495

12.) Lots of sunscreen. Sunglasses and baseball hats are a must as well.

That oughta do it! Have fun and see you there.

Dave

Back