What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear leg weight - RV8

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
The Grove aluminum landing gear leg weighs 14.0 pounds. Can someone weigh a standard Vans steel RV-8 gear leg?

Out of curiosity, is that 14.0 pounds for the Grove airfoil gear or Grove non-airfoil gear?

It’s the airfoil. I’m just curious if I’m saving any weight.
I’m assuming they are steel. The kit I bought had the airfoil aluminum legs.

Last edited:
Not easily....

:)
The Grove aluminum landing gear leg weighs 14.0 pounds. Can someone weigh a standard Vans steel RV-8 gear leg?

Sorry Webb.....I could except they have an airplane attached....it would skew the data:D

CIMG0650.jpg

My previous RV-8 has the Grove aluminum non-airfoil gear legs and my current RV-8 has the Grove aluminum airfoil gear legs.

I could not find the weight of Van's steel RV-8 gear legs, but Bruce Eicher installed a pair of Ken Krueger's Sky Designs aluminum airfoil gear legs in his RV-8 and they measured the total weight difference:

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=161240

"Speaking of stock; ... And then weight savings; Ken strung up my old leg, hardware, leg fairing and brake lines on a scale and then did the same for the new components. BTW, the new inner U bracket is made of aluminum rather than steel, an added savings. Total weight reduction confirmed with two scales and then doubled for both legs and hardware came to right at 15lbs total diet results."

I would assume the weight delta would be very close for the Grove aluminum gear legs and Van's steel gear legs.

Last edited:
Gear leg weight

Does this answer the question
Note axle not attached

Attachments

• A6397AEE-93B7-4BEE-9C59-387072582321.jpg
    A6397AEE-93B7-4BEE-9C59-387072582321.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 77
It does help. I too did not weigh the axles.

The reason for asking is my battery will be in the bottom of the forward baggage hold and I was told that the W&B might be an issue without the battery weight aft.

My 2 legs would be 28 pounds and yours are 40.8 pounds. Since I didn't weigh the brackets but don't need the leg fairings, I'm going call it ~ a 12 pound difference.

If an Odyssey battery weighs ~ 15 pounds, then essentially I'm adding 3 pounds forward over the standard legs and decreasing 15 pounds aft.

Total diet reduction, a SWAG of ~ 12 pounds

I wonder what effects it will have on CG calculations.

Last edited:

I wonder what effects it will have on CG calculations.

Hi Webb, I have the grove gear, io360 parallel valve, hartzell metal prop, and earthx on the FW and my W&B is perfect. As long as I stay in the limits of the baggage areas, I can't get out of CG. With half fuel, I can even carry a 300 lb passenger in the back.

True, with a bit of weight in the back it's easier to get the tail lower on landing, but we all know wheel landings are more fun!

Thank you Mickey. Looks like you and I will be set up the same except on battery so it’s good to know what to expect.

Back