What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear Leg Fairing Twist

SeanB

Well Known Member
Hello,

I'm just starting with some of the stock gear leg fairing work. The directions have you use a square at the ends of the gear fairings, while they rest on the leading edge, to make sure fore and aft align. This is done on both ends to eliminate twist. I understand the concept, but struggle with the practice.

I've also seen others post about laying these fairings on a known flat surface, pressing the top surface down some, and clamping the trailing edge with tape to hold. Does this method work? Seems much easier. Guess I can try and see.

Thanks!

Howdy Sean. Thanks for checking out my You Tube channel! For those wondering, here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEy0pGCLteo&t=33s

Skip to about 4:44 mark to see what Sean is asking about. This is my unproven method, but it worked quite well for me on both gear leg fairings.

I'm struggling with the Van's method as well.

The laying on a know flat surface isn't working since the gear leg airfoil is slightly asymmetrical. Lays flat on one side but one end is ⅛" high when flipped over.

Howdy Mike. You should be able to work that twist out when flipping over and over again until you find a happy medium. But if it just won't happen, then a plan B is in order. I wonder if the hinge is somehow preventing the fairing from laying out?

Howdy Mike. You should be able to work that twist out when flipping over and over again until you find a happy medium. But if it just won't happen, then a plan B is in order. I wonder if the hinge is somehow preventing the fairing from laying out?

Any ideas for a plan B?

EDIT: Plan B not needed...got it

Last edited:
Use the leading edge...

You could use a dowel (inside) and cove moulding (outside) and clamp the leading edge between the two -- then clamp the entire assembly ends between a couple of 2x4s forming the bottom half of an "H".

Tape/Clamp/Fit/Drill, etc. the trailing edge hinge material in place.

Just a thought...

The case of the non twist in the gear leg fairing.

My gear leg fairing appeared to have a twist. This was because I was laying the fairing on a flat surface and taping the trailing edge (TE) closed. When I flipped the faring over, the lower TE was ⅛" high. There is no twist...let me explain.

When the fairing is jigged up per the Van's instruction: Leading edge (LE) on a flat surface and a square use to confirm the TE is directly over the LE...all is good. I even used a laser to make a more precise measurement.

The reason that the fairing appears to be twisted when laying on a flat surface is the curved airfoil sides are not precisely symmetrical. Nothing one can do about that...so, crisis averted and on with installing the hinge.

Hinge

The case of the non twist in the gear leg fairing.

My gear leg fairing appeared to have a twist. This was because I was laying the fairing on a flat surface and taping the trailing edge (TE) closed. When I flipped the faring over, the lower TE was ⅛" high. There is no twist...let me explain.

When the fairing is jigged up per the Van's instruction: Leading edge (LE) on a flat surface and a square use to confirm the TE is directly over the LE...all is good. I even used a laser to make a more precise measurement.

The reason that the fairing appears to be twisted when laying on a flat surface is the curved airfoil sides are not precisely symmetrical. Nothing one can do about that...so, crisis averted and on with installing the hinge.

Be careful locating the hinge. It doesn't fit at the trailing edge. I found it easiest to hold the fairing and let the hinge settle then mark that

Back