What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Pitot tube installation update

Luckeyone

A question on the new installation method for the Garmin pitot tube. In all my previous research on where and how to install the Garmin GAP 26 pitot tube the support bracket for the pitot mask is mounted to the flange where the bottom skin is attach at the main spar under the wing. Even the "VANS" simple pitot tube is using one of these holes.

Garmin has updated there installation manual in September and know show the pitot mounted to an access panel. I have attached the section of the manual.

I have no issue with cutting in a new access panel and mounting the Garmin pitot the way they illustrate in there manual but wanted to get anybody's reading on this installation. If I use one of the VA-195 access panels and add a doubler the size of the access panel opening It would no longer be anchored to the spar flange. It would be free floating in the rear skin similar to the access panel for the stall warning horn on the RV 10. Is there any concern that it would not offer sufficient support for the tube?

Has anybody done this type of installation to there RV yet?

Attachments

• Pages from G3X installation manual 190-01115-01_aq Sept 2022 Rev AQ.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 612
I believe by reading it, that that is for the garmin adjustable mount and not in reference to the dynon/gretz style mount. I could be wrong in my interpretation. So hopefully someone with further knowledge will chime in.

You are correct. I have the Garmin AN5812 mast but was originally planning on mounting it to a backer plate that would connect to the spar flange to "simulate the dynon mast.

Back