What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GARMIN pitch servo problem.

Pitch Servo

Post by ShortSnorter on 4/17/21 on the VAF Forums > Main > Safety might give you some ideas.

Something is wrong here.

Please check the lengths of: the servo's pushrod (6 7/16" center of eyelet to center of eyelet) and the flaperon pushrods (38.75").

And re-check the method/procedure you went through to drill the aileron torque tubes. (stick centered and locked with the long AN3 bolt 38iS/U-03 Step 7; both ailerons DOWN by 1/8" 38iS/U-05 Step 5) then drill torque tubes.

Did you mix up the aileron and elevator servo pushrods? Something was not done correctly.

Last edited:
Without wishing to be pedantic. You mention the 'Pitch Servo' but Im pretty sure the picture is the ' Roll' one, the Pitch servo is under the pilots seat.

Moving on:

Check the length of the two pushrods on both servos. These including the rod ends are fairly size critical.

Check you have them on the correct servo.

I'd disassemble the whole servo-pushrod- to flaperon/control column parts and start again.

To the best of my memory the KIA doesn't mention the Garmin Servo Stop Brackets nor does it show them on the drawings, I'm fairly certain that I left them off.

John.

Last edited:
Without wishing to be pedanic. You mention the 'Pitch Servo' but Im pretty sure the picture is the ' Roll' one, the Pitch servo is under the pilots seat.

Moving on:

Check the length of the two pushrods on both servos. These including the rod ends are fairly size critical.

Check you have them on the correct servo.

I'd disassemble the whole servo-pushrod- to flaperon/control column parts and start again.

To the best of my memory the KIA doesn't mention the Garmin Servo Stop Brackets nor does it show them on the drawings, I'm fairly certain that I left them off.

John.

I agree with everything John said.
This is an installation problem.
Adding the safety stop on the servo, would do nothing to solve it.
Use of the safety stop is never intended to be an actual control stop which it would be in this case. It is only a just in case item which on this installation, if adjusted properly, could never come in to play.

Without wishing to be pedantic. You mention the 'Pitch Servo' but Im pretty sure the picture is the ' Roll' one, the Pitch servo is under the pilots seat.

You could be onto something here. During, after, and years after my build, I've found myself mixing up the two servos simply because they are not located where one would think they would be located (e.g. my RV6's pitch servo was.. in the tail). The two servo pushrods ARE different lengths.. though I'm unsure if the difference is enough to cause the problem in the photo.

Problem was found.

It was a combination of a couple of the control rods (flap and one of the aileron rods) not being adjusted exactly right. The stack up was enough to cause the over center issue.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

-Dan

Back