What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin heated Pitot

Mconner7

Well Known Member
Looking at Garmin?s website I see two options for heated pitot. One regulated and one not, both have AOA.

Cam anyone tell me the difference and is the regulated unit worth the $$$ ?

Well

The unregulated one works off of a switch and draws about 11 amps or so all the time.

The regulated one is temp controlled and only draws what is necessary to maintain its temp. It also has a discrete output that can be connected to your efis if available.

Is it worth it? Depends on your system and how much you want to spend...

Actually, the only three differences between the -10 heated and -20 heated/regulated probes are:

1. The -20 regulates ON THE GROUND.
2. The -20 contains circuitry to inform of heater status.
3. Price and installation complexity.

In the Jets we use pitot heat rain or shine every flight t/o to landing. But I would argue it?s a seldom used item in light pistons so maybe not where you need to spend extra money for extra complexity....

2.2.1.1 GAP 26 Power Requirements
The 010-01074-00 version of the GAP 26 does not require power as it does not have a heater. The initial current vs temperature requirements for the 010-01074-10 and 010-01074-20 are listed in Table 2-1. See Section 5.5.2 for acceptable wiring configurations.
CAUTION
Do not connect the heated/regulated version of the GAP 26 (010-01074-20) to 28 VDC. The heated/non-regulated version of the GAP 26 (010-01074-10) may be connected to either 14V or 28V. See Section 5 for wiring information.
Table 2-1 GAP 26 Initial Current Draw vs Probe Temperature (-10, -20 units only)
Probe Temperature -40?C (-40?F) 0?C (32?F) 50?C (122?F) 100?C (212?F) 175?C (347?F)
Amps 12 Amp 9.25 Amp 7.3 Amp 5.85 Amp 4.36 Amp
Table 2-1 refers to probe temperature at initial turn-on. For example, upon turn-on at -40?C, the standard (-10) or regulated (-20) heated probes will initially draw 12 amps, but will draw less current as they warm up.
The -10 non-regulated probe draws current proportional to the probe temperature as shown in Table 2-1.
The -20 heated regulated probe uses similar power to the -10 probe when airborne, but will limit the current to regulate the probe temperature to ~75?C (167?F) when the probe temperature reaches this value.

Thank you

Once again the formation here is priceless.

Since I live in Florida and may only use the heated pitot a couple of times each year to climb through a cold layer, I think the non-regulated is a better value.

Cessna

The Cessna 172s I fly are un regulated. As we all learnt when training, Never grab a pitot tube, it might be hot.

Back