What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTX 335 wiring

Marlonyoung

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Replacing my GTX 320A with a WAAS 335 so that I can achieve ADS-B compliance for flying in the bay area and LA. The diagram says to wire pin 60 direct to the battery/battery bus to keep the GPS on at all times. Surprised the wire harness they sent with it does not have that that option wired in, SOOO

has anyone had experience with the 335, and if that is not wired how long it takes the GPS to come on line? I will probably go ahead and wire it in but know that will add to the draw down on the battery when aircraft is just sitting. I'm sure it is a minimal draw, but wondering if anyone had experience with the 335.

Thanks

GPS KEEP ALIVE IS RECOMMENDED FOR GPS INSTALLS. IF NOT CONNECTED GPS MAY TAKE UP TO 5 MINUTES TO OBTAIN A GPS FIX.

pg: pdf 157.

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Install...min_GTX3X5_InstallationManualRev9-2017-06.pdf

Good luck

I think the issue here is a legal one - since the gps is being used for adsb-out data, it’s supposed to be working during taxi, which might be very soon after engine start.
And yes, the current drain is so small, the battery will die from dis-use before the keep-alive current makes a significant discharge.

Back