What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GPS updating explained

mantry

Well Known Member
Howdy, while I've had a GPS90 a LONG LONG time ago and I have a GPSMAP 195 in my current RV7 that I haven't updated myself and recently the GPSMAP 695 that I recently sold, I was looking to see if someone could help me understand the update process a little better.

1. First question to get out of the way. I purchased a GPSMAP 695/696 US DATABASE BUNDLE for $149.95. That can't be used to update my GPSMAP 195 can it? :) I would suspect NOT, but have to ask.

2. I understand the HOW TO do the database update(ie: Do the install, it runs the FLYGARMIN software on your PC (I had to borrow my wife's laptop as the WINDOWS partition in my MACBOOK Air doesn't have enough blank space to process the larger updates)which writes it to the SD CARD and then you pop the card in the Unit and it updates the internals).

My question, which it looks like I figured out myself in trying to formulate the proper questions, is how long is this good for?

It looks like that my US DATABASE BUNDLE is made up of:
Airport Directory
FlightCharts
Navigation Data
Obstacle
SafeTaxi

and I have 12 months of updates to use, meaning the $149.95 is basically good for 1 year of updates. Some of the individual updates appear to be MONTHLY and some appear to be every 2 months (or possible 56 days to go along with the normal FAA update cycle?). So if I bought the BUNDLE in Sept 2016 it will be good up to Sept 2017.

Any other pointers or clarification to add?

Oh, Question 3 How big of an SD CARD does one really need to fit a complete update on it? I'm not sure how big the one I used, and I know the cards are pretty cheap.

Thanks in advance VAF Community..
Mark

Back