What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G5 Heading value occasionally turns yellow

Brucelan

I am sure it's in the 900 page manual somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

I will be out flying around and every now and again, I will note that the G5's heading information is highlighted by a yellow background box. After a moment it goes back to normal. I can't figure out what causes this or what it is trying to convey.

Thanks,

bruce

G5 Heading Indication

I am sure it's in the 900 page manual somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

I will be out flying around and every now and again, I will note that the G5's heading information is highlighted by a yellow background box. After a moment it goes back to normal. I can't figure out what causes this or what it is trying to convey.

Thanks,

bruce

Hi Bruce,

When you ran the pitch/roll calibration on the G5, was the aircraft in a level flight attitude?

Thanks,

Justin

I had a problem with my G5 heading turning yellow and shifting ~30 deg when my alternator dropped offline. Turned out the idiot "certified" installers put the magnetometer close to my battery and apparently never checked cycling the power. Any major current change caused a heading change which was abrupt enough to trigger the yellow warning. It was fixed by a better shop following all the test instructions and relocating the magnetometer.

Back