What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X EFI fuel flow request

shaypete

I'm New Here
I spoke with Matt Burch at S&F and asked him if the G3X could measure injector pulse width and frequency and so derive a fuel flow number. Matt said that this was possible but not an option . He went on to mention they would look into adding the feature if there was enough interest. Most manufacturers have this option available as standard and was hoping there would be enough interest in this group so that Matt would consider this as a feature to the G3X.
The alternate method id to use two fuel flow sensors and then do a differential calculation.

If this is something you would like to see, please let Matt know via this forum.
I vote yes please.

Peter

I spoke with Matt Burch at S&F and asked him if the G3X could measure injector pulse width and frequency and so derive a fuel flow number. Matt said that this was possible but not an option . He went on to mention they would look into adding the feature if there was enough interest. Most manufacturers have this option available as standard and was hoping there would be enough interest in this group so that Matt would consider this as a feature to the G3X.
The alternate method id to use two fuel flow sensors and then do a differential calculation.

If this is something you would like to see, please let Matt know via this forum.
I vote yes please.

Peter

Who are these experimental EFIS/EMS manufacturers that have this as a standard option? (EDIT: MGL and GRT apparently have this capability)

Most of the engines used in the experimental market have mechanical fuel injection systems so I can't see you getting much of a following on this one but I have been wrong before....

Last edited:
I'm using it on a Grand Rapids Tech EIS soon to be connected to a GRT Sport SX. If I'm not mistaken, the MGL units can do this measurement as well....so there are two!

==
Michael

Who are these experimental EFIS/EMS manufacturers that have this as a standard option?

Most of the engines used in the experimental market have mechanical fuel injection systems so I can't see you getting much of a following on this one.

I'm using it on a Grand Rapids Tech EIS soon to be connected to a GRT Sport SX. If I'm not mistaken, the MGL units can do this measurement as well....so there are two!

==
Michael

Are you talking dual transducer differential support or injector pulse width/freq fuel flow calculating?

If the latter, I see no mention of this feature in any of the GRT documentation. MGL does have this capability as far as I know.

The differential method is very commonly supported.

Last edited:
Yes, It is measuring the Injector pulses to measure fuel flow. I had to send my unit back to GRT for a firmware update as mine was downlevel. Then Sandy sent me a new wiring diagram for the Eggenfellner Subaru installation which showed the wiring.....I just looked on GRT's website and that PDF is not posted on the website...but I did notice the new EIS for the Viking engine and it mentions the installation...

http://www.grtavionics.com/Viking EIS 4k config.pdf

I posted the page on my picasaweb site, hopefully you can get to it..

http://tinyurl.com/okdlkex

==
Michael

Are you talking dual transducer differential support or injector pulse width/freq fuel flow calculating?

If the latter, I see no mention of this feature in any of the GRT documentation. MGL does have this capability as far as I know.

The differential method is very commonly supported.

Thanks Michael,

I try to stay on top of all of these makers products/features so it is good to know info.

Best regards,

G3X measuring EFI fuel flow

Hey Peter,
Yes, I'm very interested in the same thing. I have Roberts EFII system installed on my -7 along with the G3X setup. I had to use the duel red-cube because of not having the ability to measures pulse-width. I think this method would have been much more accurate, not to mention saving a lot of extra plumbing. I would love to see Garmin offer this option with the G3X.

Mark

So in the case of MGL: This from their manual

"Type InjectorH or InjectorL. In this case your RDAC flow sender input is connected to the switched side of your fuel injector and is monitoring the opening/closing time durations of the injector to derive fuel flow. In this case the K-Factor is used to bring the reading to a correct value. The actual value will differ depending on number of injectors, fuel pressure, and injector jet size. We suggest you start with a K-factor value of about 1500 and adjust this until your flow reading matches reality."

Michael mentioned GRT being able to monitor number/width of pulses and I am sure others will follow suite with more "Electronic" fuel injection system coming online, UL Power, Rotax, Jabiru and home grown systems using products like SDS. It would be nice if Garmin could include this as a software feature, thus covering all bases when it comes to buying decisions.

Marks thanks for coming in to support this feature, now we just need a few more on the same page.

Thanks

Peter

G3X VS. GRT

Yeah, I almost went with the GRT specificity for it's ability to measure pulse width....but still ended up going with the G3X. If (and when) Garmin does update the G3X, I may very well redo some of my plumbing and eliminate my red cubes. I can't imagine it being very difficult or expensive for garmin to do this update.

Electronic fuel injection and fuel flow

Sounds like you guys are up to date. MGL and GRT can take an injector pulse and derive fuel flow directly. Garmin is aware of the request. They will get there at some point.

If you are heading to Osh, take a peek at the Husky in the Aviat booth. You might see the future in fuel delivery for certificated aircraft ;)

Robert

Just a though for those that would love to use their electric injector signals with the G3X....

It would be possible for very little money to build a small black box that has a very cheap micro-controller and a few passive components to convert the signal from the injector controller and output it as a normal turbine style signal....

Just a though for those that would love to use their electric injector signals with the G3X....

It would be possible for very little money to build a small black box that has a very cheap micro-controller and a few passive components to convert the signal from the injector controller and output it as a normal turbine style signal....

Build it, and we will come!! 👍

EFII

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the compliment. We have a number of versions of our system. We like to encourage our customers to have a dialogue with us about their project requirements so we can make sure to inform and help as best we can with pertinent info. This is why we prefer to quote systems on an individual basis.

If you ever have any questions about our systems, don't hesitate to send me an email. We generally respond 7 days a week.

Robert Paisley
[email protected]

G3X Electronic fuel injection and fuel flow

10 years have passed. Any movement on this issue? I left out the GRT in my updated G3X panel and would really like to get fuel flow back.

Fuel Flow

I am running the System32 and it has a Fuel Flow output from the ECUs.

My G3X Touch shows the fuel flow. The EFII controller also shows the fuel flow. Once the K factor is set, the FF is very accurate.

Bit of an old thread but if you are using SDS EFI, we've been outputting a FF signal from our ECUs since 2016 which emulates a Red Cube/ FloScan pulse train.

Works with any EFIS compatible with these devices.

Back