What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Data Files-something wrong

Dave S

Well Known Member
I have Garmin G3x and have the system set up to log my flights. In fact it states a log every time the system is turned on. My first 3 flights I was abel to come home and plug the data card into my Mac and read the files. Today I come home open up the data card and notice that the most recent files seem to be empty. The file icon normally show in landscape view and look like they have data on them. The last night logs are all profile view and blank, to include the previous flight for which I had already open, thankfully copied, and reviewed the data.
I have 54 files in the data log, and barely taking up any space on the card.
I have read that there may be a limit as to how many files the G3X will log, but if that has been reached, why does it look like it tried to create file for today, and even more curious as to why the previous flight data log essentially erased itself.

The last 10 data logs all show 0 bytes, and as I said the I know the previous flight data had been logged.

The previous flight was 20231125, and todays flight was 20231129
I have tried another computer to see if that was the issue with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas. Why did the those logs suddenly clear themselves of data.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 17.20.30.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 17.20.30.png
    151.9 KB · Views: 14
G3X Touch™ Installation Manual rev AU Page 30-228.
NOTE
In the event there is a file corruption problem with the SD card, it may be necessary to reformat the card. This can cause an issue when formatting the SD card using Mac OS, where the newly formatted card will not be recognized by the avionics system. When using a Macintosh computer to format the SD card, Garmin recommends using the SD Memory Card Formatter application available as a download from SDcard.org. When running the application, use the Quick Format option.

Good luck

I do have another SD card, and I will try re-formatting the original card.

I still find it strange that if the SD card went bad, how it first of all created a log but with no data in it and secondly how it removed the data from previous logs.

I can see all the logs, and the earlier ones all have data still in them, but some how it erased the data and left me with blank logs for the last 9 events.

I would think if the card went bad, I wouldn't be able to see or access any of the logs

I was really hoping I could get the data from the last flight for tracking purposes.

Back