What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin customer support, not?

Gnvflyer

I just purchased and received a new Garmin Aera 760 gps that I bought from Aircraft Spruce. It reboots every time you open the map page.

I called Garmin customer support and they said to return it to them and they'll send me....a "recertified" unit which I assume means used, refurbished.

Maybe it's just me, but I paid for a new, working GPS. That's not what I'm getting. Is it too much to ask to get a new unit sent to me?

I just purchased and received a new Garmin Aera 760 gps that I bought from Aircraft Spruce. It reboots every time you open the map page.

I called Garmin customer support and they said to return it to them and they'll send me....a "recertified" unit which I assume means used, refurbished.

Maybe it's just me, but I paid for a new, working GPS. That's not what I'm getting. Is it too much to ask to get a new unit sent to me?

Did you talk to ACS about the situation?

I would take a video, call Aircraft Spruce to return it, and as soon as you see online that they received it, order another new one.

I would take a video, call Aircraft Spruce to return it, and as soon as you see online that they received it, order another new one.

They do allow returns within 30 days. It's been 29 days since they shipped it, so I'm OK there.

But...from their website -

"Merchandise experiencing technical issues or are assumed defective:
Apply to manufacturer's warranty policy.
Must be sent to manufacturer for evaluation for repair or replacement as per the manufacturer's warranty policy."

Spruce has been very good to me. Not sure I want to violate their return policy.

Have you tried updating the firmware? Assuming you can do that without it crashing on you.

No telling what firmware it came to you with. Sometimes stuff ships from the manufacturer and then sits around a while.

Software and firmware are up to date.

So I just took a look at both Dynon and AFS’s warranty statements on their websites. Both state that they will “repair” items that are in warranty. Neither produce portables so it is not exactly apples to apples.

Garmin is offering to send you out a replacement that has been “recertified”. Like you, I assume that means repaired or reconditioned or checked out enough to know it is working as designed.

I would not be afraid of accepting their offer. I assume it will come back to you with a warranty and be in perfect cosmetic condition. I have done this a couple times and in each case the item I received was like new without any issues.

Using this process will likely be quicker than any true repair process.

So I just took a look at both Dynon and AFS’s warranty statements on their websites. Both state that they will “repair” items that are in warranty. Neither produce portables so it is not exactly apples to apples.

Garmin is offering to send you out a replacement that has been “recertified”. Like you, I assume that means repaired or reconditioned or checked out enough to know it is working as designed.

I would not be afraid of accepting their offer. I assume it will come back to you with a warranty and be in perfect cosmetic condition. I have done this a couple times and in each case the item I received was like new without any issues.

Using this process will likely be quicker than any true repair process.

Thanks, this makes me feel a little better since I really have no alternative. I just think it's shi##y customer service. The unit is 29 days old and has had the problem since I took it out of the box. It's never even been in the air.

I've spent a lot of money on Garmin products for this build but will be hesitant to purchase Garmin in the future.

Best Garmin Customer Service Experience

Last month I purchased an AERA 760 direct from Garmin, (to avoid getting a unit that may have been sitting in a dealer's inventory for months or years). took it out of box, plugged it in and connected to WiFi. worked beautiful but then It offered to update Software to latest release, so I accepted. It then got stuck in a REBOOT and would not open any programs for use. Cycling over & over. I called customer service and was offered an R/A (return authorization at Garmin expense) C/S said purchase another and return INOP unit for full credit. Keep box and all accessories and return only 760 in a padded sleeve. I paid $18 for next day shipping of new 760 and received a new unit in 24 hours with all of its accessories. C/S also suggested to not upload the new software for several weeks in case there is a "BUG" in the latest release. New 760 works perfectly! I received credit for return of old unit in 5 days. Best Customer Service Experience!! Thank You Garmin!:)

Last month I purchased an AERA 760 direct from Garmin, (to avoid getting a unit that may have been sitting in a dealer's inventory for months or years). took it out of box, plugged it in and connected to WiFi. worked beautiful but then It offered to update Software to latest release, so I accepted. It then got stuck in a REBOOT and would not open any programs for use. Cycling over & over. I called customer service and was offered an R/A (return authorization at Garmin expense) C/S said purchase another and return INOP unit for full credit. Keep box and all accessories and return only 760 in a padded sleeve. I paid $18 for next day shipping of new 760 and received a new unit in 24 hours with all of its accessories. C/S also suggested to not upload the new software for several weeks in case there is a "BUG" in the latest release. New 760 works perfectly! I received credit for return of old unit in 5 days. Best Customer Service Experience!! Thank You Garmin!:)

Glad you got a perfect one. Because I bought through Spruce, they didn't offer me that option. Something to consider for any future purchases, I guess.

Garmin advice

The fact that *Garmin* gives this advice is darkly hilarious when you think about it.

To be fair, it’s excellent advice.

C/S also suggested to not upload the new software for several weeks in case there is a "BUG" in the latest release.

Update...

Just a follow up to my issue with Garmin- I ended up calling Aircraft Spruce for help despite their policy of letting manufacturers handle technical defects.
Jaycee from their avionics department agreed that I was getting screwed by Garmin and went to bat for me by contacting them and pleading my case.
Yesterday I received my NEW replacement 760 and retuned the refurb unit with a paid return shipping label.

As always, Aircraft Spruce puts their customers first. Garmin, not so much.

...Jaycee from their avionics department agreed that I was getting screwed by Garmin and went to bat for me by contacting them and pleading my case.
Yesterday I received my NEW replacement 760 and retuned the refurb unit with a paid return shipping label.

As always, Aircraft Spruce puts their customers first. Garmin, not so much.

That's called the power of money. Aircraft Spruce sells tons of Garmin equipment so they listen to them more than just one complaining client who they don't really care if you stop buying their equipment.

That's called the power of money. Aircraft Spruce sells tons of Garmin equipment so they listen to them more than just one complaining client who they don't really care if you stop buying their equipment.

All dealer’s generally get better support than the individual customer, we sell their equipment. Garmin is no different than any other company in that regard.
When’s the last time you tried to call an appliance manufacturer or Samsung for service?

All dealer’s generally get better support than the individual customer, we sell their equipment. Garmin is no different than any other company in that regard.
When’s the last time you tried to call an appliance manufacturer or Samsung for service?

You're confirming my point. A Garmin dealer gives Garmin more money than a lonely customer, so Garmin will listen to a dealer. I'm not saying other companies don't do it, I'm elaborating on what clearly is going on in this case.

Oh, and I did call the Samsung hotline and they gave me great service regarding my fridge.

Back