What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin aera 660

chrispratt

Well Known Member
Anyone other than me having trouble updating databases on their aera 660? On Wednesday 3/6/24 I plugged in my aera 660 to do my monthly data update and while the data downloaded okay (specifically Navigation Data, IFR/VFR charts and FliteCharts) it would not verify and is stuck at "Verifying 0%" for all three databases. I spent time in the Garmin online chat with no luck and they referred me to their call-in support number where I spent an hour -and-half (including hold time) on the phone with Garmin support but they couldn't figure it out either. Support person thought it might be a Macintosh OS problem and would check. (I use a MacBookPro running Sonoma 14.3.1.). I updated the OS this morning to Sonoma 14.4. But still no joy.

Trying to figure out if it's my 660 unit, Mac OS or something at Garmin. Anyone else having an issue?

Chris

Attachments

• Garmin aera 660 screen.JPG
    Garmin aera 660 screen.JPG
    327.7 KB · Views: 18
Anyone other than me having trouble updating databases on their aera 660? On Wednesday 3/6/24 I plugged in my aera 660 to do my monthly data update and while the data downloaded okay (specifically Navigation Data, IFR/VFR charts and FliteCharts) it would not verify and is stuck at "Verifying 0%" for all three databases. I spent time in the Garmin online chat with no luck and they referred me to their call-in support number where I spent an hour -and-half (including hold time) on the phone with Garmin support but they couldn't figure it out either. Support person thought it might be a Macintosh OS problem and would check. (I use a MacBookPro running Sonoma 14.3.1.). I updated the OS this morning to Sonoma 14.4. But still no joy.

Trying to figure out if it's my 660 unit, Mac OS or something at Garmin. Anyone else having an issue?

Chris
FWIW, I updated the databases on my Aera 660 near the end of February using an iMac running Sonoma 14.3.1. This included the Navigation Data, IFR/VFR Charts, and FliteCharts. I did not have any difficulty.

574.jpg

In the past a couple of times, I've tried to update the databases and it showed no updates available, when I knew there were updates available. Turned out that my subscription had lapsed, and Garmin does not send out renewal notices.

Last edited:
FWIW, I updated the databases on my Aera 660 near the end of February using an iMac running Sonoma 14.3.1. This included the Navigation Data, IFR/VFR Charts, and FliteCharts. I did not have any difficulty.

In the past a couple of times, I've tried to update the databases and it showed no updates available, when I knew there were updates available. Turned out that my subscription had lapsed, and Garmin does not send out renewal notices.
Thanks Carl. Good to know it's not OS Sonoma. I thought expiration might be the case, but the CSR I spoke to at Garmin said I was still good for about a month and had downloads remaining. I may just go ahead and renew and see if that is the issue. I agree that Garmin does not notify of expiration, but with all the programmers they employ you'd think they could at least put a message in the update section telling you that you can't download as your subscription has expired. I'll let you know what happens.

Chris

Isn't there an option to connect via wifi internet and have it update directly?
Yes Shannon there is. I've tried that. Same result. I've also tried going through the flyGarmin Database Manager on my laptop making sure I have the latest version. No joy.

My usual routine is to use the Garmin supplied USB plug. Plug it into my computer and when the 660 turns on I go to Tools, Downloads, and Easy Install and the 6t60 will automatically upload everything that needs updating. That has worked for years and I thought it had worked this time as well since the screen uploaded the database but when it went to verification, it stopped at "Verifying 0%". As I mentioned, the CSR was stumped and said he thought that some other users were having issues that day as well so he was going to check if it was at Garmin's end.

So it may be as simple as my subscription expired but I would think the CSR would know that. Maybe he was new. I'll try tomorrow again and if that doesn't work I'll re-up the subscription and see if that was the issue. It doesn't seem that others are having a problem so maybe it's that simple.

Chris

As I mentioned, the CSR was stumped and said he thought that some other users were having issues that day as well so he was going to check if it was at Garmin's end.

Sounds like maybe Garmin was having problems that day. Hopefully it will work when you try it again tomorrow.

I take my Aera 660 home and connect to the house WiFi and update wirelessly. I don’t log in on the computer, just connect to WIFI. I’ve also updated it in the hangar using my iPhone as a hot spot. Definitely takes a bit longer in the hangar but easier just to pop it out and take it home.

FYI: Just got off the phone (again) with Garmin support and when I queried if anyone else is having this same issue the CSR reluctantly said a lot of people are having issues with downloads, and that it would probably be fixed for the next update cycle, i.e. USA 2402 around March 21. So try again then to see if it works. I will and I'll let you know.

Chris

I take my Aera 660 home and connect to the house WiFi and update wirelessly. I don’t log in on the computer, just connect to WIFI. I’ve also updated it in the hangar using my iPhone as a hot spot. Definitely takes a bit longer in the hangar but easier just to pop it out and take it home.
This is how I did it a few weeks ago, in my hangar via wifi.

I had trouble updating my 660 in February. After I updated it would say the data was corrupted. I finally got it to work after several tries on different days. I am using MAC OS. Don't know if that was the problem, or my technical ability.

Jimbo

Read my addendum above. Usually the downloads are easy. Looks as though GARMIN may have a glitch this time around. Mine have always been seamless so hopefully the programmers will fix it next time around. Possibly an OS issue but at their end not yours.

Welcome to the site.

Chris

I always have trouble updating a 760. Stuck at 50%. SOMETIMES it works, but at less than dial-up speeds. I can't isolate the problem except to say I believe it's on Garmin's end as the problem has gotten worse over the years and the amateur-looking database manager app is pure crud. This "stuck" occurs with a MacBook, Mac, and two PCs and over different networks. Usually I have better luck with the PCs. Weirdly, navigator SD cards download within 10 seconds on all platforms.

John Siebold
My sixth RV-7 (Gooney Bird) leaves the nest April 1.

UPDATE Aera 660: Now that the new databases are out for March 21, I tried the Easy Update function with my Aera 660 and it worked properly. Thank goodness. Apparently the issues with the last update not downloading properly were at Garmin's end. Thanks to those who commented on the post. Just seems to be one of those issues that pops up randomly. For those of you following, I typically use the Garmin supplied power chord and plug it in to the 660 via my Apple MacBook Pro while updating. This method keeps the battery from running low while downloading those big databases. Seems to be fine once again.

Chris

Back