What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 496 XM Cable Question

N316RV

Well Known Member
I am installing a Garmin 496 in an Air Gizmo mount just above a 430W. The right angle XM antenna cable has to be bent an uncomfortable amount to clear the 430. The XM cable has a mini USB connector on it. The plan was to just buy a short extension cable to correct the problem. I have bought two different mini USB extension cables. Both have 4 pins wired and are bout 6 " long. The 496 does not detect the XM antenna with either extension cable installed. Detects the antenna immediately when it is plugged in directly. Anybody have experience with this or any ideas?

Yep. You can cut out the area where the plastic interferes with the plug.

The extension hast to be a 6-wire USB cable.

I have the same problem as Alan, and I did what Bob suggests and enlarged the area within the mount with my Dremel a year ago or so...That certainly helped once my 496 was installed in the mount...but...

My situation is that I move my 496 between several airplanes frequently, and I have to 'bend' the wire for the XM antennae every time to get it past the front lip of the mount. It is now at the point of failure.

I'd like to find a straight extension as well to alleviate the binding.

Alan, if you contact Tim at Approach Fast Stack and get a fix please let us know. Otherwise, I'll contact him...

Thanks,
Tom

Yep. You can cut out the area where the plastic interferes with the plug.

The extension hast to be a 6-wire USB cable.

Back