What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch SW v9.41 Available Now (5/13/2024)

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Good Afternoon,

G3X Touch software version 9.41 was posted to the Software Download Area today. Among several background improvements there are a few new features included, as detailed below. A new Installation Manual, revision AV is also available, which is necessary to make use of several of the changes included in this update.
  • Support Traffic and Terrain Inhibit Discrete Input
    • Two new discrete input presets are available, Terrain Alert Inhibit and Traffic Alert Inhibit. These are alternate means to inhibiting these alerts, the other being through the display.
    • Along with these inputs, 3 new CAS Messages were added to the system:
      • TERR INHIBIT – Terrain Alerts Inhibited
      • TA INHIBIT – Traffic Alerts Inhibited
      • TRFC FAIL – Traffic device or traffic input failed
  • Configurable Flap Position Threshold for AOA
    • In the initial dual curve AOA calibration implementation, when two AOA curves were calibrated (one for flaps up, one for flaps down), the system would switch between the two based on value that corresponded to roughly 50% of the flap position sensor range ( ~50% deployed).
    • This change allows the installer to move that 50% value, and effectively control when the system switches from one curve to the other. A value of 30 would correspond to a switch at 30% flaps deployed, so it would switch curves sooner than before.
  • Allow Alternate Orientations for Charts
    • Sectional charts can now be displayed in alternate orientations, previously limited to "North Up" only.
  • Added User Settings for Flight Log Recording Mode
    • Flight log can be set to record normally (airborne or when engine is running), airborne time only, or disabled entirely.
  • Added User Preference for Vertical Engine Bar Width
    • If the vertical engine bar is not being forced to use the wide width to accommodate the configured contents (e.g. multi-engine gauges) the "EIS Layout Size" option will give the user the option to select the size of the vertical engine bar on each display. Allowed options are Narrow, Wide, and Auto. Auto will use the wide layout if any text-only gauges are configured.
    • This can be set to Auto or User selected in the Display Menu in Configuration Mode. If set to User selected, there is a pilot-side setting for this in the Display Setup menu in normal mode.
  • Added Discrete Functions to Toggle Audio Panel ICS Isolate Modes
    • 2 new presets are available for discrete inputs, relating to ICS Isolation modes. These remotely toggle the active state of either pilot or crew isolate modes for GMA 245(R)(M) audio panels.
  • Added Configuration Setting to Enable/Disable Spoken CAS Alert Audio
    • Spoken CAS Alert Audio can now be disabled in the Sound Menu in Configuration mode, using the Engine/Airframe Alert Mode Setting.
  • Vertical Power Improvements
    • Vertical Power Amps and Volts are now configured through a dedicated Vertical Power tab, within the Engine & Airframe Menu.
    • Trim and flap position, if configured and calibrated on the VPX, will be shown on the page as well. This allows the installer to configure gauge ranges for these, and ultimately make use of logic signals for VPX derived sensor inputs.
  • Expand Temperature and Pressure Preset Options
    • CHT 5 & 6 now double as Temp 3 & 4, and can support all types of temperature sensors.
    • EGT 5 & 6 now double as Temp 5 & 6, and can support thermocouples but not resistive sensors.
  • Modify Logic Signal Behavior
    • With this change, any signal which is not configured to be set by any parameter will now automatically set itself. This removes the need to create a "fake gauge range" to achieve certain kinds of alerting behavior where the desire is to have a logic signal whose state is solely driven by airspeed or altitude. The net change for this improvement is that some alerting and gauge marking behaviors can be accomplished more simply.
  • Show Decoded VLOC Identifier on HSI
    • When a VHF NAV CDI is selected, the NAV Frequency will be displayed within the HSI. When decoded VLOC identifier is present, it will switch to the identifier.
  • Traffic Conflict Alerts
    • Audio alerts for traffic conflicts are now inhibited below 300AGL
  • Rotax 916iS Support
    • The Rotax FADEC setting which can be applied to various engine sensor presets is now compatible with data provided from a 916iS

Several system LRU's will be updated with this software load, the software download page includes a detailed LRU software change list. Cross-referencing the System Information page in configuration mode, please ensure each LRU is successfully updated to the appropriate software level upon completion of the software load.
  • Added configuration of CAS message audio alerts
  • Added ability for VFR/IFR chart orientation to follow map page setting
  • Added ability to display VFR/IFR chart inset on GDU 46x PFD
  • Added display of VLOC frequency or decoded NAVAID identifier to HSI
  • Added support for additional temperature and pressure sensors
  • Added support for custom range markings for Vertical Power EIS gauges
  • Added user setting for engine bar width on GDU 46x
  • Added support for GSU 25 zero-airspeed calibration procedure
  • Added support for RS-232 connection to GTR 205 / GNC 215
  • Added support for Rotax 916iS FADEC data
  • Added optional configuration of flap position threshold for AOA alerting
  • Added inhibit settings for AOA and radar height audio alerts to sound setup page
  • Added setup pages for terrain and traffic settings
  • Added ability to inhibit terrain or traffic alerts via discrete input
  • Added ability for EIS logic signals to set themselves when not set explicitly
  • Added user setting for flight log recording mode
  • Moved inhibit settings for AOA and radar height audio alerts to sound setup page
  • Moved fuel calculator configuration to separate config mode page
  • Improved GTX 33 configuration
  • Improved radar height audio annunciation
  • Improved Smart Glide annunciation in areas of changing elevation
  • Improved traffic audio alerting at low altitudes
  • Improved takeoff altitude audio alert
  • Improved Rotax SCU fuel pressure display
  • Improved lean assist configuration for aircraft using TIT
  • Improved organization of display configuration page
  • Improved GSU 25C/D static pressure calibration
  • Improved EIS gauge display and layout
  • Improved fuel-used recording when power is removed
  • Improved engine cycle count recording
  • Improved checklist file processing
  • Improved audio alert output
  • Improved data logging
  • General improvements to system operation
  • Includes update to G5 software version 8.51
  • Includes update to GEA24(B) software version 4.00
  • Includes update to GMA245 software version 3.20
  • Includes update to GSU25/B/C/D software version 4.50
  • Includes GSU25/B boot block software version 2.30
  • Includes GSU25C/D boot block software version 2.10
  • Includes GMA245 audio software version 2.20
  • Includes GMA245 Bluetooth software version 2.00
  • Includes GMA245 boot block software version 2.40
  • Includes GEA24B boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GEA24 boot block software version 2.20
  • Includes GHA 15 boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GHA 15 software version 2.00
  • Includes G5 boot block software version 2.40
  • Includes GAD 27 -1X software version 2.00
  • Includes GAD 27 -1X boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GAD27 boot block software version 2.30
  • Includes GAD27 software version 2.80
  • Includes GAD29 software version 3.40
  • Includes GAD29 boot block software version 3.10
  • Includes GAD29C boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GAD29C software version 2.10
  • Includes GSU73 software version 3.80
  • Includes GSU73 IGRF database version 1.04 (Base Year 2020)
  • Includes GAD13 software version 2.10
  • Includes GAD13 boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GDL39 software version 4.91
  • Includes GI260 software version 2.90
  • Includes GI260 boot block software version 2.20
  • Includes GMC507 software version 5.00
  • Includes GMC507 boot block software version 2.30
  • Includes GMU11 software version 2.20
  • Includes GMU11 boot block software version 2.10
  • Includes GPS20A software version 2.40
  • Includes GPS20A boot block software version 2.10
  • Includes GSA28 software version 5.70
  • Includes GSA28 boot block software version 2.20 or 2.10 (-2X Model)
  • Includes GTR20/200 software version 3.50
  • Includes GTR20/200 boot block software version 2.40
  • Includes GDL5x software version 2.23
  • Includes Timezone database version 37.00
Please let us know what questions you have!

Thanks,

Justin

"Allow Alternate Orientations for Charts
  • Sectional charts can now be displayed in alternate orientations, previously limited to "North Up" only."
Great! Now the people that want their upside down text can stop complaining! 🤣 No wonder so many have no idea where they are at when they make radio calls on the CAF.

2.png
3.png

4.png1.png

• Sectional charts can now be displayed in alternate orientations, previously limited to "North Up" only."
Great! Now the people that want their upside down text can stop complaining! 🤣 No wonder so many have no idea where they are at when they make radio calls on the CAF.

View attachment 62850
View attachment 62852

View attachment 62853View attachment 62851
Sounded good on paper. But I think i will stick with tried and true. As a old time RC airplane pilot, I can think backwards better than i can read upside down.

But I really like the IFR charts in the inset. very helpful.

Now only if we can have a scratch pad, so i don't have to use pen and paper to copy clearance. (or is it Clair?)

Modify Logic Signal Behavior
  • With this change, any signal which is not configured to be set by any parameter will now automatically set itself. This removes the need to create a "fake gauge range" to achieve certain kinds of alerting behavior where the desire is to have a logic signal whose state is solely driven by airspeed or altitude. The net change for this improvement is that some alerting and gauge marking behaviors can be accomplished more simply.
This is great. I'm glad they're continuing to work on improving the programmable logic signal system! I'll keep waiting for the Python API :LOL:.

I’m hoping for an Oshkosh announcement that they are releasing a new higher definition screen. 🙏

Curious why you want a higher res screen? Personally I am looking for more processing power long before more resolution. Higher resolution is not always better.

Agree. More processing power and real estate are at the top of my list too.
I’d buy a 12” in a heartbeat.
Might need to do some panel surgery tho.

I definitely want more processing power too, but the relatively low definition/resolution bothers me. It’s something that bothers me about a lot of different screens on other devices. Just one of those things, it really stands out to my eyes.

Basically I want it to look as good and sharp and work as quickly and smoothly as ForeFlight does on my iPad.

Last edited:
I definitely want more processing power too, but the relatively low definition/resolution bothers me. It’s something that bothers me about a lot of different screens on other devices. Just one of those things, it really stands out to my eyes.

Basically I want it to look as good and sharp and work as quickly and smoothly as ForeFlight does on my iPad.

If you are referring to the terrain or synthetic vision, that is a limit of the database resolution not the screen resolution. The vector graphics and text have always been and are nice and sharp.

Last edited:
Great work garmin. I especially like the logic signal stuff and more discrete inputs. Now can we have a discrete input that tells it which tank we are using and track fuel by the tank?

First engine start after 9.41 and I have zero fuel flow indicated. Pressure builds, no flow. Engine runs normally.
Too late to work on it tonight, ill start in the am.

Installed a few days ago. Ground run after fuel system changes showed no issues so far.
Test Flight to Vegas and back showed no issues, in fact, cant even tell there was an update because no visible difference.

Last edited:
Thanks Brantel.
I tried disabling and it said I was not in Mode S. I tried downloading in Opera and Mozilla - same result. I have an ipad but have never tried updating on it but guess I will give it a try.

Track up! Awesome! Just like every airline jet I’ve ever flown! (Ps, I call my position relative to the airport based on my heading.. not by looking at the chart. If I’m headed north east, that means I’m south west of the airport)

Im not sure what I did but was able to get it to install. I did find out I coudnt download and install from my ipad. Since it only works on the ipad I found that a little strange. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: MED
"Track up! Awesome! Just like every airline jet I’ve ever flown! (Ps, I call my position relative to the airport based on my heading.. not by looking at the chart. If I’m headed north east, that means I’m south west of the airport)"

I am no airline pilot but I have also never seen an airliner with a sectional chart on a display. Does that exist? I suppose you may be referring to IFR Enroute Charts.

I use the same method in my position calls as well knowing that trick only works when the nose is pointed "to" the airport.

Last edited:
These upgrades sound great .... thank you Garmin!! The most anticipated one to me is track up for charts. Because of this I have only used maps.

My question is this: is there or will there be an update for the Aera760 that will have track up in charts? Reason is that my wife does a lot of our navigation in the back seat with an Aera760 and she would prefer looking at a sectional chart but not having track up is confusing so she also uses maps.

As long as I'm on this: Bluetooth between the Aera760 and G3X is really bad. I've tried hardwiring the two but no joy. I got the 760 talking with the GDL52 so she has WX and traffic on the 760. But even with wires connecting ports on the 760 and G3X I haven't been able to get that to work and it defaults to Bluetooth which has proven VERY unreliable and troublesome.

VPX Pro and G3X touch. I was excited to read about the latest update tying in VPX controlled functions so the new programming logic signals could be added to flaps, and trims (controlled by the VPX). Even more excited to see the gauge previews showing added tick marks and gauge markings along with the exact location of the trim. This is in the config mode. When I get out of config the tick marks set in config seem to be overwritten by the VPX. The colored range markers stay but gone are the added tick marks and % showing the exact location of the trim. I removed the tick mark in the VPX (set by my laptop in the VPX) but gone are the tick marks set in the G3X. One of the nice features of the update is the ability not to need to use my laptop to change the location of tick marks. Still a nice upgrade. Anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-22 210720.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-22 210720.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot 2024-05-22 205106.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-22 205106.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot 2024-05-22 205851.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-22 205851.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 59
Does anyone know if we can rearrange the none essential items on the Engine strip? After the upgrade I have a new tab (Electrical) on my engine page with all the Electrical stuff and my CO Detector has gone on the engine strip in place of main volt. I would prefer to keep my main volt on the engine strip in place of CO detector.

Does anyone know if we can rearrange the none essential items on the Engine strip? After the upgrade I have a new tab (Electrical) on my engine page with all the Electrical stuff and my CO Detector has gone on the engine strip in place of main volt. I would prefer to keep my main volt on the engine strip in place of CO detector.
IM rev AV, pg 30-184 (pdf 675).
EIS Display – The Hide setting removes the item from the EIS display, although the item will be displayed on the Engine page. The Auto setting displays items based upon hierarchy and the availability of EIS display space. If a particular gauge is not visible on the EIS display, other gauges may be set to "Hide" in order to allow the desired gauge
to appear instead. The "Text Only" setting allows for a text based gauge to be assigned to the item, increasing available room on the EIS strip.

Good luck

IM rev AV, pg 30-184 (pdf 675).
EIS Display – The Hide setting removes the item from the EIS display, although the item will be displayed on the Engine page. The Auto setting displays items based upon hierarchy and the availability of EIS display space. If a particular gauge is not visible on the EIS display, other gauges may be set to "Hide" in order to allow the desired gauge
to appear instead. The "Text Only" setting allows for a text based gauge to be assigned to the item, increasing available room on the EIS strip.

Good luck
Thank you!
I read that portion of the manual but I did not find where/how you can set priority on each individual gauge so it appears on the strip. Maybe I missed it but if anyone knows how, I would appreciate it.

Along those lines -- the ability to re-order the items on the EIS strip would be appreciated for those of us with CRUSHING OCD. Specifically, reorganize or let me reorganize all the fuel stuff to be together instead of interspersed with the Oil PSI and Temp.

For VPX users was able to get the tick mark issue resolved. If you have a tick mark still in VPX it overwrites the G3X tick mark. What I did was set the tick mark to 0 in the VPX (You must put in a value 0-255) This gets the tick mark out of the way. Then use a colored line (Same as a tick but a little longer (see pics) in the G3X programming under the VPX tab. This sets TO and any other mark you might want as a reference. From this you can use the new logic setting programming to provide a warning when take-off trim is not set in a certain bandwidth on take-off. (You can add settings that this is only active below a certain altitude and speed)

Nice update Garmin !!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-26 120857.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-26 120857.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot 2024-05-26 120753.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-26 120753.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 64
For VPX users was able to get the tick mark issue resolved. If you have a tick mark still in VPX it overwrites the G3X tick mark. What I did was set the tick mark to 0 in the VPX (You must put in a value 0-255) This gets the tick mark out of the way. Then use a colored line (Same as a tick but a little longer (see pics) in the G3X programming under the VPX tab. This sets TO and any other mark you might want as a reference. From this you can use the new logic setting programming to provide a warning when take-off trim is not set in a certain bandwidth on take-off. (You can add settings that this is only active below a certain altitude and speed)

Nice update Garmin !!!
How did you get the MAP and Tach indications on the same line? I was looking for those settings and couldn't find it.

I know I can get the fuel quantity to the GTN650 now, but I can't find the right settings, manual update or a post saying how to do it either...

How did you get the MAP and Tach indications on the same line? I was looking for those settings and couldn't find it.

I know I can get the fuel quantity to the GTN650 now, but I can't find the right settings, manual update or a post saying how to do it either...
EIS Combined or Separate for the MAP/RPM display

Change the ARINC 429 output on the G3X to EFIS air data format 2, the 429 Input on the GTN to EfIS format 2 for fuel flow/quantity data. Also requires up-to-date firmware for the GTN.

Back