What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch SD Cards

sjarrell

Well Known Member
During the data updates using the plugin if I select the entire United States for the VFR and IFR charts, all the procedure plates, etc. I get an error that there's not enough room on the card for the update. If I download them separately and copy them to the card there's no issue.

Is it possible to use a 16GB card with the G3X Touch, or is there a limitation with the Garmin operating system that limits the card to 8GB?

Thanks!

I have used a 16gb in mine and it appeared to work fine (I don't know what I don't know and there may be some issue with the bigger card that I am not noticing) but there must be some technological reason why TeamX wants us to use 8gb cards so I am going to limit the size of the ones I use to 8gb. I have a dozen of them laying around so this is no problem.

Last edited:
Hello,

We responded to Steve directly, but we ask that everyone follow the guidance on page 29-154 of the Rev. S G3X Installation Manual and use 8 Gbyte SD cards in your G3X Touch displays.

An 8 Gbyte card used solely for database updates has plenty of room for any databases you wish to install.

As mentioned in this posting, we also recommend you use separate cards for software and database updates just to keep things simple.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, while we're talking in this thread

Is the instructions for loading a custom boot logo on the SD card correct in the G3X touch manual on the dimensions of the image? It looks like it is just an oversight and the pixel count is for the G3X not the G3X Touch, can you chime in on that?

I used the published pixel count and it looks blotchy

Hello,

We responded to Steve directly, but we ask that everyone follow the guidance on page 29-154 of the Rev. S G3X Installation Manual and use 8 Gbyte SD cards in your G3X Touch displays.

An 8 Gbyte card used solely for database updates has plenty of room for any databases you wish to install.

As mentioned in this posting, we also recommend you use separate cards for software and database updates just to keep things simple.

Thanks,
Steve
The G3Xpert Team did respond directly to me via email almost immediately. I'm just going to standardize on all 8GB cards and use separate cards for data, updates and logging as they've suggested.

Much appreciated!

Back