What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Smart Glide nearest airport

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I have noticed that the Smart Glide does not recalculate often enough for the nearest airport and sometime it selects airport farther way and possibly less desired airport than one closer. I was wondering if there are any settings for this selection or how this calculation is driven.

Smart Glide

I've seen multiple times where it would recommend a fly toward a private airport (That most likely I could not find) than a large public airport much closer. Hopefully they will improve on this "feature" but recommend if needed check where it's flying you.

When we developed a similar system in 2012 (the Vertical Power VP-400) we chose the "best" airport and not necessarily the nearest. We had a weighted set of criteria for defining "best", and I'm sure Garmin has theirs too. Not sure what it is, though.

I've seen multiple times where it would recommend a fly toward a private airport (That most likely I could not find) than a large public airport much closer. Hopefully they will improve on this "feature" but recommend if needed check where it's flying you.
I saw exactly the same and at first I thought it was my configuration for the airport but it was not. Yes, hopefully they improve on it.

Back