What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X autopilot or freestanding Trio Pro Pilot head and servos?

GEM930

Well Known Member
Friend
I have been prepping for (what was supposed to be) a minor avionics upgrade. My initial plan was to keep my MGL Voyager and upgrade my 250XL with a Garmin 355. I also purchased a Trio stack mount Pro Pilot to connect to my never used, but installed Trio servos. I acquired the 355 and the Pro Pilot, but prior to starting the project the opportunity to purchase a G3X presented itself. I purchased the unit and many accessories (including Garmin autopilot servos) and my project just launched from minor to complete panel upgrade.
My 2 questions for those more knowledgeable than I is …..

1) there any advantages (aside from redundancy) in keeping the Trio system? What function might I lose if I do?

2) How important is the GMC 507 in the system? I did not receive a GMC 507, but after many conflicted responses, it appears that while the 507 is nice, it is not necessary as all autopilot functions can be controlled by the G3X. I’m tired of spending money on this , but I guess I could likely sell the Trio PP (still in the box) and pay for the 507.
Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

Gregg

Gregg,

The Garmin G3X, GNC 355, (2) GSA 28, GMC 507, + SmartGlide and a couple other Garmin ancillaries will give you a fully integrated system that is superior to the Trio Pro Pilot. My recommendation is to sell the Trio PP and finish the panel upgrade with Garmin. You will never look back and be glad you did. The Trio is an excellent autopilot, but the level of integration and ease of operation, plus the added safety of the SmartGlide, is what should seal the deal.

Do your own research, but you will be very happy with the Garmin solution.

Brian

You don't have to have the GMC 507 as pretty much all the functionality is available on the G3X screen. Having said that I would not have a plane without the GMC 507, I really like it and makes it easier and quicker to make heading/altitude/mode changes

The OP said it himself in the question: the only reason to have a stand-alone autopilot is redundancy. But if you fly ifr, that might be a big consideration. Personally I have a different EFIS (GRT) and although the ‘built in’ GRT autopilot was less expensive I went with the Trio. Normally, I control the AP thru the EFIS, it works very well. But should the efis go up in a puff of smoke, I can throw one switch and the AP will fly the plane in ‘stand alone’ mode. If the 420W is still working, the Trio will shoot a gps approach. I’m happy with my choice. (If I was vfr-only my choice would have been different). Also, I have no idea how well a Garmin efis will interface to non-Garmin autopilots.

The Garmin autopilot will be more capable than the Trio. The 507 allows easy access to that capability, not essential but makes the autopilot easier to use. Although redundancy is a consideration, as the Garmin system is basically certified it is robust. I find the Garmin system just does what you expect, it holds whatever flight condition you specify. It is easy to drive the aircraft on the 507.

The Garmin autopilot will be more capable than the Trio.
I have been thinking about this, and I don’t believe the above statement is necessarily correct. Of course details matter. I routinely use both: a Trio Pro (controlled by a GRT Hx) in my RV10; and a Garmin 500 in a 182 (controlled by a Garmin 2 1/4” mini Efis.) Both are excellent autopilots. I fly the G500 exclusively as a cfii, from the right seat, and I do have a couple of small nit-picks about the system. But they are both excellent autopilots, both fly an ILS or LPV far better than I can. For me, the only real difference is having lots of eggs in one basket, or not.

I do think the GFCs ability to fly vertical profiles is a differentiating factor.
When coupled with a VNAV capable navigator (to a lesser degree VCALC for the OP’s GNC355) the capability is quite amazing.
Only have to touch the throttle from TOD to the MAP. All crossing altitudes taken care of.
On the question of a 507 or not- it depends on how you plan to fly. If one’s going to regularly fly IFR then trying to use the touch screen to drive your autopilot while trying to use the PFD to navigate in IMC is not great. The 507 makes all this very simple.

Last edited:
I don't have any comment on your first question (unless selling all of that helps offset the #2 question).

For #2, the Garmin control head is what I interact with most in my aircraft. I'm all for panel efficiency and using touch where possible, but I want/need tactile buttons for the autopilot. Especially if workload goes up a bit, or the air gets rough, it's REALLY nice knowing exactly where everything is. FWIW, I tend to use my G3X Touch's bottom left selector for my autopilot heading & altitude selection. But for all mode changes and definitely for vertical speed or indicated speed selects, I always use the control head.

Lastly, there's a big safety factor to having that beautiful blue LVL button. I've used it twice when an approach didn't go as I expected and it was really reassuring to give me the 15 or so seconds I needed to get mentally oriented and not fall farther behind the aircraft & weather.

Thanks guys! I think I'll bite the bullet and buy a GMC 507. I'll likely post the Trio system for sale here soon. I have a few other questions in reference to AOA and audio panel, but I'll start a new post. Thanks again.

Back