What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G100UL - UL94 - Mogas

Amadeus

Well Known Member
Any ideas on how we, as Rotax fliers, can join together with other experimental fliers (Viking/Honda powered, Subaru, Corvair, etc.) to influence more airports to carry the GAMI G100UL, the Swift UL94, mogas/autogas just some version of unleaded above 91 octane and preferably ethanol free sooner rather than later?

Given the highly expanded list of airplane engines eligible to use the G100UL it would be the most likely fuel for early adoption. Most expensive but at least it is still unleaded. I'm willing to pay a dime or two more per gallon to keep from gunking up my Rotax.

I for one sure wish MOGAS was more readily available. I burn car gas in my -8 the majority of the time, and I’m planning to do the same in my -14, however, I’m usually limited to filling it up via 5 gallon gas cans at my home airport. There are a few airports that have MOGAS on the field and I always try to give them business if my flight path has me going anywhere close to them.

We make it a point to burn MOGAS in our Rotax.

There are a couple websites that list airports. Try,

https://www.airportcourtesycars.com/mogas.html

AirNav also lists MOGAS airports. You can use their Plan a Flight feature and specify MOGAS.

When there are none available, we carry 5 gallon fuel bags with us. We purchased them from Alaska Airframes. We look for an airport near an interstate highway. When we land we borrow the courtesy car and get fuel in our bags. We always leave $20 for the use of the car.

Carrolton GA was always reliable for the trip to SNF but after COVID they have stopped.

Jim Butcher

Back