What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Funnel Scaffold: Checking for contaminants in reusable oil filters

scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
Just sharing a small but satisfying project I completed yesterday.

I jumped on the K&P reusable oil filter bandwagon this year, given the skyrocketing prices of the normal spin-on filters. However, I hadn't broken the code on how to catch and inspect the contaminants from the filter element since the filter's not meant for disassembly. So I built a funnel scaffold. That's what I'm calling it...a funnel scaffold, because I built it. I get to name it.

With some 3/4 x 3/4 aluminum angle and bar from Home Depot Aviation Supply, I crafted this framework that stands over a fluid catch cup and holds a large funnel. Insert a coffee filter, then go to town blasting the oil filter element with brake cleaner. The cleaner and oil filter detritus collect in the coffee filter. Inspect and toss that, then clean and reuse the oil filter element. Easy peasy.

Attachments

• IMG_9314.jpg
    IMG_9314.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_9313.jpg
    IMG_9313.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Oooooo!!! I like! I've been using a coffee filter also, but resigned to trying to spray and catch the liquid mess in a large Ziploc.

I have been "washing" my champion paper filter material with Varsol in a margarine bowl then pouring the Varsol through a paper coffee filter. It catches the smallest particles.

Quart jar with some gasoline, slosh it sufficiently, and pour it into a coffee filter. Just like "panning for gold" there is a proper amount of agitation that separates the particles and lets them fall, versus re-agitating up into the filter again.

A clip....

Varsol is seen as a hazardous solvent as it contains highly concentrated chemicals that can cause damage to the user’s organs when inhaled or contacted. The long-term health effects of varsol include muscle weaknesses, depression, bone marrow damage, and increased chances of developing pneumonia.

Varsol solvents are also highly flammable, making it a cautious product when being used or left unattended. Varsol as well is a dangerous hazard to not only humans but the environment, wrongly disposing of varsol can lead to pollution.

Hello Scroll,

I’ve been using the K&P a few years now. At first I did the brake cleaner as suggested by K&P. It became too expensive burning up can after can. Now I just soak the screen in a bowl of car gas filled only high enough to not go into the top of the filter. I want to keep all contaminants on the exterior surface. Just slosh around a few seconds. Once content I finish off with a small spray of brake fluid. I pour off the excess fuel then allow evaporation to get it down to dry contaminant inspection. You could just pour the gas into your filter.

Question for the group: Did anyone notice an increase in oil pressure? I saw a 5PSI increase at the same OAT and a 5 degree decrease in temp.

Marvin

Last edited:
K&P

I have one and plan on installing it at the next change. Sounds like the collective group here is happy with the results??? Also Marvin McGraws post above about keeping any debris from getting to the inside of the filter is EXCELLENT advice. I hadn't thought of that.

I fill a Ball jar 1/2 full with mineral sprits. Agitate the filter element in the jar. Soft bristle brush, rinse, repeat. Look in bottom of jar for bad juju.

A clip....

Varsol is seen as a hazardous solvent as it contains highly concentrated chemicals that can cause damage to the user’s organs when inhaled or contacted. The long-term health effects of varsol include muscle weaknesses, depression, bone marrow damage, and increased chances of developing pneumonia.

Varsol solvents are also highly flammable, making it a cautious product when being used or left unattended. Varsol as well is a dangerous hazard to not only humans but the environment, wrongly disposing of varsol can lead to pollution.

FWIW, nearly all solvents that will thin motor oil contain potentially hazardous chemicals that can affect multiple organ systems. And, most are flammable.

Varsol (a brand name for stoddard solvent, according to the MSDS for the product) is an organic solvent mixture, as is paint thinner, lacquer thinner, gasoline (all forms, including 100LL and Mogas) and many other commercial and consumer products. Most aviation and automotive spray paint products (including epoxy and polyurethane products) are formulated with an organic solvent vehicle.

And, BTW, no organic solvents is safe when inhaled at high levels (in the short run) or at low levels (over the long run). in an enclosed space, with sufficient airborne concentrations, organic solvents act like anesthetics and can lead to intoxication, loss of consciousness, and death in minutes to hours. In the long run they can cause permanent declines in mental function and can affect liver, kidney, and reproductive function. These long-term effects are most commonly seen among people who use such products on a regular basis (ie, daily or nearly daily).

The best way to deal with the toxicity of organic solvents (which are ubiquitous in modern life, just go to the local hardware store) is to use them in well-ventilated spaces so that you inhale as little as possible. Use a real respirator, i.e., a half-face elastomeric respirator with organic vapor cartridges or, better yet, a supplied air respirator (particularly important when using two-part polyurethane paints due to their use of isocyanate compounds). Further, avoid skin contact since all organic solvents can be absorbed through the skin. For very short term use, just ensure that the ventilation is good and don't spill solvents on your skin.

So, the good news is that there is nothing super special about Varsol. The bad news is that although they can be used safely, all organic solvents are potentially hazardous and should be handled with care.

One final thing. Although tetrachloroethylene (ie, perchloroethylene or "perc", aka dry cleaning fluid) is non-flammable, most organic solvents are flammable and, under the right conditions, explosive. Never use them around any ignition source.

Read the label of all solvent products and follow the precautions.

(None of this is medical advice. Use solvents at your own risk.)

Fred
2022 dues paid

Last edited:
OK, thanks everyone, great inputs. I particularly like Marvin's recommendation for washing only the outside of the filter. Several of you recommended gasoline or mineral spirits...I'll lean that direction to save money (brake cleaner is expensive).

Question for the group: Did anyone notice an increase in oil pressure? I saw a 5PSI increase at the same OAT and a 5 degree decrease in temp.

Marvin

Marvin, I have indeed seen higher oil pressure, particularly on colder days. Makes sense since the K&P's 35 micron mesh is a tighter squeeze than the Tempests. As for oil temperatures, mine have been normal.

Well, there’s no need to reinvent the wheel, the cleaning process is pretty well described by the manufacturer here https://kandpengineering.com/cleaning/

And there’s even a YT vid under https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=YvsFN3PMRGE&feature=emb_logo

I’ve been using one of since mid Summer, e.g. the last 200 hours or so, and my observations are as follows:
- oil P, maybe an increase, but that would be in the 3psi range, no data recording
- no change in oil T
- somehow more carbon deposits than before. Always had some carbon in the standard filter, but with the K&P either the carbon buildups are showing better, or for some obscure reason there are more. The filtering surface being smaller, I would recommend checking/cleaning the filter element every 50 hours no more
- on the other hand, any minute metal particle I found previously seem to have disappeared, as I now barely find any

Back