What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel transfer left to right

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
Does anyone have experience with fuel system such that to avoid engine miss, the remaining low fuel (1-3 gallons) in the left tank can be pumped to the fuller right tank?
This is not something I want to do, nor do I think it is necessary, but I have seen it. Considering that changes to established fuel systems can have unintended consequences, I’m just wondering if others have heard of this.

Just continue to run on the low tank until your fuel pressure indicates that you are starting to suck air, then change tanks. Now you know that all your remaining fuel is in one tank only, no questions.

Just continue to run on the low tank until your fuel pressure indicates that you are starting to suck air, then change tanks. Now you know that all your remaining fuel is in one tank only, no questions.

I get the OPs concern on sucking a tank dry

The OP doesn't say whether they have a carburetor or fuel injection. Is this technique suitable for a fuel injected engine?

Last edited:
The system was for a carburetor engine. Basically, the standard left/right selector valve operates as always. If the pilot wanted to transfer some low fuel quantity in the left tank to the right, procedure is: selector on right, transfer valve opened, transfer pump turned on until done, transfer pump and valve off. (I don't know if anything indicated that left tank was fully emptied.)
BTW, this transfer procedure was designed to work only from left to right.

Back