What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Injection Conversion ?

Paul Walter

Hi Gang, I have a new (to me) RV 6 that i am delighted with, it is fitted with a 180 hp O 360 AIA. My 7a has an io 360 with 195 hp and I must say I definently prefer the F.I. better

I am sure a conversion can be done, so would some one who has converted from carby to F.I. fill me in on any problems faced during installation and more importantly after plane was flying again.
What is the best afer market F.I conversion kit ?.
What will it cost ?
What differences will i see in performance and economy ?

Thank you

Paul

I converted the engine for my 8 to FI. Don at airflow helped out, and it is very straightforward. Basically, you are looking at getting two high pressure boost pumps, the Fi servo and spider, and the lines and nozzles. You will most likely need to replace the throttle and mixture control cables and brackets.

I don't know if you will ever see an cost advantage to it, unless you want to fly upside down. Lots of cost for a small increase in fuel economy.

Have you considered an aftermarket throttle body injection? Anyone on here have experience with one? They seem inexpensive and are an improvement over carbed auto applications. Would still require a higher pressure fuel pump I imagine.

CARB TO FI

To RVZoomie
,,throttle body injection? Anyone on here have experience with one? They seem inexpensive and are an improvement over carbed auto applications. Would still require a higher pressure fuel pump I imagine.''
---------------------
I have an Ellison TBI on my RV-4 and I would trade it only for a Fuel Injected system ..( If I was building a new aircraft but wouldn't do the convertion, too expensive vs the rewards )It is far simpler than a carb, perform better and is slightly better fuel economy wise.

The Elisson is about $1500.00 +/- and no, you don't need a special/higher pressure boost pump.The standard Facet boost pump works just fine.

Hope this help

Bruno

Back