What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel cap

My fuel cap turns when the screw is locked down I have tightened the nut until it’s difficult to lock down but it still turns
Any ideas?

If it's the standard cap that Van's uses, that bottom "piece" is threaded. Tightening up the nut on the bottom only acts like a jam nut and will shear the pin on the top if you try too hard. Loosen that nut, turn the bottom piece against the big O-ring until it's a snug fit in the filler neck when the lever is locked down, then tighten up the jam nut on the bottom to lock it all in place. It's a bit of an iterative process.

Just a word of caution... Early RV-12 requires a "vented" fuel cap. Later version of RV-12 has a vent line attached to filler neck that is easily identified and visible in the baggage compartment. If replacing fuel cap on early RV-12 it is imperative to use vented cap. Incorrect cap will cause fuel starvation....

Just a word of caution... Early RV-12 requires a "vented" fuel cap. Later version of RV-12 has a vent line attached to filler neck that is easily identified and visible in the baggage compartment. If replacing fuel cap on early RV-12 it is imperative to use vented cap. Incorrect cap will cause fuel starvation....

Clarification -

RV-12's updated with the remote fuel tank vent will have the vent line exiting the top aft of the fuel tank just inboard of the fuel filler tube/neck, but it is not attached to it.

Mine can be turned too. Adjustments don’t seem to last long, but it has never been a problem since mine is hangared and not sitting on a ramp in the rain.

Back